• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What sensors affect fuel flow on start-up?

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
96 auto

When I first replaced my starter about a month ago, for a day or two I had a problem with starting. The engine would actually turn over but rev very low and stumble. I had to apply gas to raise the rpms and keep it running. After a few seconds of that, I can let off the gas and the engine will keep running at its normal range of around 800 rpms. When I start to drive, it runs out of fuel and the engine just dies. After a day or two, this went away.

Well, it came back today. Any ideas on what sensors might be causing it? I'm thinking cps, or maybe the fuel pump relay?

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pressure at the injector rail when the engine stumbles. If it's much less than 49psi, the likely culprit is the fuel pump itself. A fuel pump relay either works or doesn't so you'd either get normal fuel flow or none at all with no in-between.

Shouldn't have an issue with it running properly after a new starter install, hmmm. Maybe you have the belt loose or not on correctly? After you try what Dino suggests try all your sensors, IAC, TPS, and MAP or MAT whichever yours has. I had a similar issue after installing a high-flow cat and exhaust but it was air/fuel related and needed the map adjusted. But yeah it sorta didn't have anything to do with what I installed but sometimes on the XJ things go wrong that have nothing to do with your other part install, go figure lol. If it's time to go it just goes and sometimes makes you wonder what the...... Good luck.

Well, for now, its not acting funny. I don't know what to think.

I'm sure it'll start again sometime.

Back