• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built on replacement cat

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where I can find a built on replacement cat. By bolt on I mean bolts to the flange from the down pipe. The only replacement ones I've seen you have to make your own pipe and flange. I'd like to keep it all original if I can.

Doug.

The key phrase here is "direct-fit" - has the square flange just like OEM. What you've been seeing is "universal-fit". Your local NAPA should have exactly what you're looking for.

How old/how many miles on your rig? I just had mine changed, because after 14 years and 216K miles, it was physically disintegrating. Of course, by then the y-pipe between cat and manifold was shot as well. Dont' be too surprised if you end up replacing more than you expect at the outset.

Rob

Opps ! Sorry I meant to say bolt on at first !

Yup, by direct fit I meant bolts to the factory 4 bolt flange. You're right NAPA does have it... Just got home from there. $112 laters. I got 206k and its a 90 XJ. See I've been having some trouble passing emissions. Its been over the NOx limit. Lowest I could get it was almost 200 points over. In 2000 when I first got her I had a small pin hole in the front pipe. Took it off and welded it and before I put it all together I decided to check out the cat. The inside looked kinda crappy and I smacked it on the ground and a majority off the moon rock stuff came out. I keep toying with it till all the loose stuff came out and then put it all back together. All the other times I took it to inspection it passed just under the limit. I guess this time there more loose stuff in there and the cat isn't doing anything now. Gonna try to put the new cat on tonight and go back to inspection in the morning

Oh. BTW the rest of the exhaust system is brand new except the header. I had a flowmaster on, which did pass emissions. Got the lowest NOx reading with it so far but the inspection station said it was TOO LOUD. So for now I have a stock tail pipe, stock muffler, and new front pipe. Only thing old right now is the manifold and cat. Once I get the XJ thru inspection the flowmaster is going back on with the 2½" tail pipe. Then the stock muffler will go on my YJ to get that thru. When both have passed the stock muffler and pipe are going in the garage for 2 years !

Last edited:
Near as I can tell (summit web page) there are catco "direct fit" converters listed for the XJ with and without the flange. I'd be wary of ebay you might not know which one you'll get...

Back