• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doner Trucks D60s

COXJ

NAXJA Member #989
what years and models should i look for for front and rear Dana 60s? i know they wont be under the same truck but looking for year make and model for doners of each. front maby high pinion 60 front driver or pass doesnt matter. rear 60 i dont believe they ever made a rear high pinion but if they did in what other wise just a strong D60 rear. thanks

WIll

I dont know time fame of how long they put these in but in a ford f-350 the ones I have seen at least have dana 60s front and rear front hp rear non hp.

HP axles where never ment for constant drive in the rear, thats why no manufactorer(sp?) has put a HP in the back of a truck. OG Hp60s came on 1 ton fords I beleive from 771/2-79 i might be wrong.
If your planning on going front and rear 60s then you better be planning on reinforcing/caging your unibody before you even think about hanging 60 in the front. thats if the its gonna see offroad use.:D

o ittal b caged about the same as the jeep speed guys cages front bumper to rear bumber but thats another post. im just tryin to find some axels so i will never(37s w 4.0) break hopefuly. any more info?

WIll

COXJ said:
so i will never(37s w 4.0) break hopefuly. any more info?

WIll

I run 44s front and back. until I tor it down for rebiuld, I never had a problem with them. I did wheel some hard stuff down in CA.

HPD44 30 spline warn inners supperior outers CTMs/ARB
D44 33 spline supperior shafts/ detriot.

Oh BTW: I run 37s too:D

Last edited:
Karmir,

What's the width of your HP44?
What did you get it from?
Did you have to modify it's width?

Bender said:
Karmir,

What's the width of your HP44?
What did you get it from?
Did you have to modify it's width?

I had it cut down to waggy length, I spoiled myself and had CURRIE ENTERPISES make me one(only the housing). I can build one myself but I really didnt feel like doing it + i was doing other mods at the time and need to speed up the project.

If you want to do it yourself, get a HP44 from a 1/2 ton ford 771/2- 79 if you run fullwidth your wheels gonna stick out a few inches, but you can have it retubed to your spec for around ~150-200, or you can go with HP44 from a bronco, id say keep the radius arms, and go full width, no much longer than an xj. whatever you do, dont go with a low pinion, unless your anal about histeer and big brakes.

gota hand it to ya, atleast you aint doin the 8.8 or 9" conversion BS

even at waggy width ( 62.5 wms to wms) you'll stick out more.. but if you want to cut it down waggy width is a good idea.. however at 37 inch tires i would want to be wider.. i've seen full width bronco 9" rear with a chopped down 9 " (63 " wms to wms) in the front from currie work very well with 37s ( no reason a chopped down 44 wouldn't) .. being skinnier in the front also doesnt look wierd because the xj body tapers down in the front.

The axle you'd want for that is a 78-79 f250 hp dana 44.. they are 8 lug so.. you'll need to address that unless you plan on running 8 lug .

btw : i am picking up my set of axles out of a f250 this weekend.... 44 front , 60 rear and i am staying at the 65 3/4 wms to wms front and back.... :D

Last edited:
I run a 44 front, shaved 60 rear and it's a good setup for my 38.5's. I don't know if you'd want to deal with hanging a 60 up front if you don't ever intend to go over 37's. Warn or Superior shafts and 760's with full circle clips will do you well in a front 44. But if you are dead set on 60's f&r, 78-79 F350 is what you want.

I would never ever run a wider axle in the back. It will track way too screwy in the rocks. Wider in the front for me. If you're a mudder, then it would be ok though.

Back