• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ dies while cruising

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Cherokee Sport, 4.0 with a manual trans. It has died - then starts on it's own several times. Like the switch was turned off then on again. Only happens for a second or two at most. The other day it did it for about a block. When I put the clutch in to coast to an exit I decided to try to pop the clutch and off we went again. I've been told it's a number of things - IAC, TPS to Battery cables - I could replace every sensor on the car but - Any more specific directions will be appreciated. Thanks

well it's obviously not the IAC since it also happens when cruising. for your wallets sake you've got to narrow it down a bit. It is igniton or fuel related. pull the spark plugs out and look at their condition for clues. Check the fuel pressure with a gauge and inspect the engine grounds. pull your fuel pump relay and check the color and consistiency of your spark by cranking it over in the driveway with a spark plug out and grounded ( don't touch the plug while doing this!)

it could be a failing coil, CPS, engine ground, a corroded connection, or fuel filter. Intermittent problems are very hard to diagnose, but with persistience, and working in a logical progression you should be able to do it without replacing all of the engine electronics.

if it dies while throttle steady, then its not the IAC.

i would look under hood to check all connections, and under dash - just make sure everything is pluged in properly.

thanks - I will spend the afternoon cleaning and tightening the grounds. Then the spark. Then move on to the fuel system. I appreciate the help.
TGFH

TGFH said:
I have a 1995 Cherokee Sport, 4.0 with a manual trans. It has died - then starts on it's own several times. Like the switch was turned off then on again. Only happens for a second or two at most. The other day it did it for about a block. When I put the clutch in to coast to an exit I decided to try to pop the clutch and off we went again. I've been told it's a number of things - IAC, TPS to Battery cables - I could replace every sensor on the car but - Any more specific directions will be appreciated. Thanks

Exactly the same thing was happening to my '92 XJ 3 years ago and it was the CPS, so it's likely you have the same problem and you'll also need to replace the CPS.

CPS - ouch! - the expensive one. Well the grounds are all good and the fuel pressure will be checked tomorrow. You are probably right since it doesn't do it on a consistent or daily basis, and it doesn't act like it's fuel starved at all. This baby has 351,000 miles on the clock and absolutely NO rust - so she is worth the cost. I plan on going well over 400k. Thanks.

they will run forever if taken care of. CPS is my bet, 40 bucks, come on that aint nothing

I was curious if you ever found the problem. I'm having the same problem with mine.....where it's almost as if someone shuts it off for a brief second and then it goes right back to normal. I only notice it at highway speeds though.

I've replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor.....all of which probably needed to be done anyway. I'm going to check out the fuel pressure tonight.....after that I'm not sure where to go with mine.

It's my '92 stocker and it has always been good to me. I don't want it to go bad now. :tear:

Back