• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ AC Components - NAPA Okay?

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
My searches regarding AC evaporators identified a few that have or are currently facing my dilemma; a leaking evaporator. It's behind the dash on the passenger side so the book labor time is 9 hours!

I did read that one or two people here replaced their OEM evaporators with NAPA evaporators and they were happy with these. Please tell me your experience! How long have they lasted?

I need to know who makes reliable AC components. From my experience NAPA should be good as I've used their parts for many years without any problems on several vehicles.

Thanks,

Rick

What year and engine in your Jeep? Sometimes OEM pats are cheaper than NAPA parts. For my 86 2.5L with the factory AC the OEM evaporator is cheaper than NAPA. Let me know and I could get you the part number or if you know the factory part number go here http://www.allchryslerparts.com/.

tgoff,

1997 XJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-speed manual, NP 231.

I'll bookmark the URL anyway. The searching I did on past posts identified this can be a real nasty issue w/Jeep and the evaporator. One respondent referred me to www.ackits.com. This company sponsors and AC forum that is excellent.

Thanks,

Rick

Here is the part number for the factory evaporator 4864 999. It looks like NAPA is the cheapest here though, just plug that number into non-NAPA part number online search and you will get the correct part for your XJ. For future reference go to http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_reference.asp?section=2&ID=0 for tech reference, there you will find all the information you need when it comes to finding factory part numbers.

I just replaced my evap core Memorial Day weekend on my 2001. It took about 7 hours total. Got the evap from Murray's for about $150.00. I got it apart and noticed the heater core was leaking a little bit - it had some corrosion near the top, so it was not caused by condensation in the heater box assembly. I went ahead and replaced it with a unit from Autozone that cost me $70.00. It didn't fit real well - a little larger than the original, and the inlet and outlet tubes had to be tweaked a little to get it installed. Now my blender door is a bit sticky. A/C only blows 50 degrees no matter what the outside temp is.

How difficult a job is this to perform on your own? Mine is kaput and the dealership qouted me $1200 bucks! It just doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to get the dash apart to get to it! If I had a buddy pull all the charge out of the system, which since the compressor wont run probably isn't much, and then have him top it off after,is this something one can reasonably do in the driveway? Your thoughts are very welcome!!

-Hershey

BDHershey said:
How difficult a job is this to perform on your own? Mine is kaput and the dealership qouted me $1200 bucks! It just doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to get the dash apart to get to it! If I had a buddy pull all the charge out of the system, which since the compressor wont run probably isn't much, and then have him top it off after,is this something one can reasonably do in the driveway? Your thoughts are very welcome!!

-Hershey

It's not that you have to 'get it apart' a little bit, you have to REMOVE it, one who did it said 'start with removing the front seats'.... thats a bit more than I want to tackle in a nice sunny driveway for 8 hours..

RichP said:
It's not that you have to 'get it apart' a little bit, you have to REMOVE it, one who did it said 'start with removing the front seats'.... thats a bit more than I want to tackle in a nice sunny driveway for 8 hours..

Actually, its a shady garage, but I definately see your point! Looking at the removal routine in my Hayne's manual, it definately seems a PITA. I just hate to pay someone to fix something I can do myself, especially that kind of money.

But on the other hand I am not a mechanic and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night! :D

If you guys say to leave it to the pros, thats what I'll do.

-Hershey

BDHershey said:
Actually, its a shady garage, but I definately see your point! Looking at the removal routine in my Hayne's manual, it definately seems a PITA. I just hate to pay someone to fix something I can do myself, especially that kind of money.

But on the other hand I am not a mechanic and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night! :D

If you guys say to leave it to the pros, thats what I'll do.

-Hershey
Well, consider if you have a dealer do it and it fails, take it back. You do it and it fails, major PIA.. The only thing that scares me is if they use the same quality part they used originally...

Back