• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC COMPRESSOR

crazyXj33

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE A 96 WITH A 4.0L, EVERY TIME I START THE ENGINE IT RUNS GREAT, AS SOON AS I TURN THE AC ON IT STARTS SQUEALING LIKE THE BELT IS SLIPPING. WHAT IS THE CAUSE OF THIS? IS THERE SOMTHING I CAN REPLACE OR SHOULD I FORK OUT THE CASH TO THE DEALER?:passgas:

Try tightening the belt, If that doesnt work replace the belt. It is a common occurence both of mine do it on occasion.

That is just it the belt was replaced a few days ago it is a brand new gator back. I start it up and everything is quiet but as soon as you turn on the AC it goes crazy. I DON'T KNOW! It is driving me crazy though.

crazyXj33 said:
That is just it the belt was replaced a few days ago it is a brand new gator back. I start it up and everything is quiet but as soon as you turn on the AC it goes crazy. I DON'T KNOW! It is driving me crazy though.
Then it wasn't done right.

It could also be the A/C compressor clutch slipping, or glazing on the pully for the compressor.

Glazing can be broken with Scotch-Brite or emery cloth (at least 400 grit, if not higher/finer.) The compressor clutch slipping can be fixed by replacing the compressor clutch.

Worst case? The compressor proper wants replacing, which will also require evacuating and refilling the system. If you're going to do that, might as well retrofit to Freeze12 or R-134a while you're about it.

5-90

crazy Xj33,

5-90 could be correct (He is knowledgable.) but I'd tighten your serpentine belt before going too much farther with your concern for this. Remember you just changed your belt! As this is ALL that has recently changed in your accessory drive system (Is it?) it is likely the belt tension is too low.

I had to adjust mine twice to get rid of the same noise you describe. The reason it occurs when you activate AC is the load the AC clutch places on the belt. If you pour a small amount of water over the belt & AC clutch when someone else activates the AC and the noise goes away this means your belt is not tight enough.

The "rule of thumb" for belt tension (without a tension gauge) is you should be able to twist (with your forefinger & thumb) the belt 90 degrees and no further (at the specified point where tension should be measured).

The adjustment for tightening XJ serpentine belts is a little tricky because it is a 2-bolt system. The adjustment mechanism is located behind your power steering fluid reservoir at the front side of the intake manifold. However, you have to loosen a locking bolt for this adjustment mechanism below the PS fluid reservoir first. This will allow the adjusting bolt to change the tension on the belt. If you do not loosen the lock bolt you will not be able to change the tension on the belt.

Make sure you tighten the lock bolt after you determine the belt tension is correct. It is easy to forget to do this!

Rick

This happened with my 2000 XJ. It turns out the clutch was working fine and the belt was plenty tight.

The bearings are shot in the compressor. When the clutch came on, it put one hell of a load on the belt and the belt slipped on the compressor pulley.

I got a new compressor at jeepsareus and will install it tomorrow night.

think about it............if it DOES NOT squeal with the A/C off, but it DOES squeal with the A/C on, then there is something wrong with the compressor part of it.......could be the bearings or the clutch....

5-90 is right about the glazing, but i would think it would do it all the time then since it's still glazed even with the A/C off.

The newer ones don't have the power streering adjustment proceedure. There is actually a moveable pully located behind the electric cooling fan. You may have to take the fan out to adjust the tension. When I bought mine (a 2000) I had an extended warrenty. The ac went out and I had a new one put in under warrenty. After getting it back from the dealership in hot weather the new belt would start squealing too. By trial and error I just kept adjusting the tension until no more squeek when the ac was running. Did this over a year ago and no problems since.

RAVC1 said:
The "rule of thumb" for belt tension (without a tension gauge) is you should be able to twist (with your forefinger & thumb) the belt 90 degrees and no further (at the specified point where tension should be measured).
Is it supposed to be 90 degrees (1/4 rotation) or 45 degrees (1/8 rotation)? 90 seems loose to me.

Back