• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy 44 install

bigwhitey

NAXJA Forum User
The Waggy 44 is almost done. I'm still waiting on the rims from summit to arrive so I can try to align it.
I used the RE bracket kit, Full traction longarms, Over Axle Trac bar, and my flipped steering from the D-30.

Issues
*The stock tierod and draglink are possibly too long for the Waggy axle and may have to be replaced.
*The stock drive shaft may be too long for compression.
*The pumpkin is huge on this thing with the mount over it and actually hits the trac bar bracket. I need about 5-5.5" of bumpstop to keep it from hitting and the steering from binding.

Any experienced advice is welcome.

bigwhitey said:
The Waggy 44 is almost done. I'm still waiting on the rims from summit to arrive so I can try to align it.
I used the RE bracket kit, Full traction longarms, Over Axle Trac bar, and my flipped steering from the D-30.

Issues
*The stock tierod and draglink are possibly too long for the Waggy axle and may have to be replaced.

Get some one tone steering. You spent the money on the bracket kit, wheels, tires, long arms, etc. Don't skimp now!

The front drive shaft should be fine. As a matter of fact, after I put my ds in I had to move the axle back some to try to clear the trac bar mount and there was still plenty short enough.

*The pumpkin is huge on this thing with the mount over it and actually hits the trac bar bracket. I need about 5-5.5" of bumpstop to keep it from hitting and the steering from binding.

Try to move you axle back about 1/2 to 3/4 inches if you long arms are adjustable. I also took my track bar frame mount off and moved it foward about an inch. This invoved elongating the bolt holes on the mount to move it foward.

Any experienced advice is welcome.

These adjustments will take you time to figure out what works best for you. I messed with mine for months before I got it where I wanted it. The only reason I have bump stops now is to minimize tire rub when I turn during axle articulation.

The good:
It's fitting better now
I have locking hubs and they're cheaper then XJ conversions
the brakes are bigger and cheaper 20 for pads and 20 a piece for calipers
I can use gears lower the 4.88 now
knuckles and ball joints are bigger

Ok finally torqued everything down and drove it today.
The brakes don't "feel" like I think they should. Maybe I need to bleed them some more or get better pads like I had on the 30, I'm using the cheap asbestos free pads.
The steering won't turn as far as I'd like I think the waggy pitman arm may have a larger radius then the stock XJ.

Here's pics
waggy1.JPG

waggy2.JPG

waggy3.JPG

waggy4.JPG

waggy5.JPG

Made it home
waggy6.JPG

bigwhitey said:
The steering won't turn as far as I'd like I think the waggy pitman arm may have a larger radius then the stock XJ.

I have the same problem with my Waggy D44. I went to teh wrecker to get a Waggy pitman arm but after I got there and saw one I realized it wasn't going to work as its really flat, almost no drop at all. So I'm going to wait till my high steer conversion is done and then get a Waggy drop pitman as Brent suggested.

BrettM said:
yes, the Waggy pitman arm is longer and will provide more steering angle, however it's very flat, so you'll need a Waggy drop pitman arm.

Thanks for the info I'll search for some one who sells a drop. I figured it would be too flat.

bigwhitey said:
Issues
Make your own, you did all that work, the rest is not that hard.
No problem with mine.
Move the upper Track bar mount back, make a whole new bracket, like I said, you did all that, keep welding!

Jes said:
You do?
I don't see lockouts, I see drive flanges...
waggy1.JPG

Thats with out the drive flanges installed too. I'm slowly adding to the drive train to find all the noises and make sure I know what they are. I have reinstalled the slugs and will install the drive shaft this weekend.

seanR said:
Make your own, you did all that work, the rest is not that hard.

No problem with mine.

Move the upper Track bar mount back, make a whole new bracket, like I said, you did all that, keep welding!

I cut down the threaded ends of the Tierod, TRE and the coupler to make it short enough.

Put the drive shaft in place and I have more room then I expected.

I already moved the upper TB mount about 3/4" I may move it a little more and see if the upper links hit the oil pan when it's flexed.

Tried installing the Waggy drop pitman today. It has the same amount of drop as the stock XJ pitman.
However the TRE taper is larger then the XJ, Also with the longer radius it pushes the draglink over the TR stopping any uptravel in the steering.

I Guess I'll order the BPS OTK setup. This will take care of the taper issue as my knuckles are already drilled to 3/4" I'll just remove the inserts and drill out the Pitman. I heard Heims are great anyways.

Installed RE1555 Brake Line SS YJ+3" Front Pair - Extended front stainless steel brake lines 28" long.

Plenty long and no hard lines to deal with like my stock YJ lines.

Really they feel the same so I feel no benefit with the steel braiding.

Back