• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 RENIX? What is this sensor

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I didn't tear down this motor but have to get it back together. This sensor that is located at the very end of the Fuel Injector harness(there are two other connectors with it). It is broken. I don't know what it is or where it goes!

sensor7am.jpg

If the connector looks like it would go to an extra fuel injector (that's how it looks to me...) it is the Knock Sensor, down on the driver's side oil sump rail. It can be replaced with a repair connector, which should be in the Motormite section (get one that is listed for your fuel injectors - the knock sensor is the same.)

When you replace it, make sure you keep the copper foil going down the harness as far as you can. It's there to shield the wiring from picking up spurious signals and giving "false positives," which will cause performance issues due to retarded timing. If you need to, wrap the new harness connector with aluminum foil, and make sure it touches the copper foil SOLIDLY and DIRECTLY. Most electronics stores will also have copper foil tape, which works well and will be easier to handle.

5-90

Looking at the pic again - you just might need a new sensor instead. Expect it to not look the same, the replacement will probably come with a stud that screws into the hole, and the sensor will be retained on that stud with an included nut. Apart from that, it will work fine.

5-90

Last edited:
Thanks 5-90,

I knew you be a help.

This Cherokee used to belong to my Dad untill he died a few years ago. I've been looking for it and got really lucky. It had a blown motor and was on its way to the parts yard when I found it, luckily in one piece. I'm doing a complete restoration on it and since I'm more familier with the OBDII, I will need plenty of help. Here are some recent pics. The head has been redone, injectors have been cleaned and rebuilt, the block will be completely rebuilt soon.
dadsjeep35dg.jpg
dadsjeep21ob.jpg

dadsjeep6su.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start. I've got an '89 Limited I'm going to restomod for my wife (as a commuter - "prepare to take evasive action!" and I'll proably have to put her through my finishing school before she can drive it effectively...) so if you've got any questions - ask away! Post, PM, or 5-90 AT naxja DOT org - I just opened up the addy, and I'm going to use it for "tech" questions, so I'll check it once or twice a day. I try to answer everything within 24 hours, even if that answer is "I'll have to get back to you..."

5-90

Back