• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Will a dist. from a 96 XJ (4.0) work in a 92 XJ (4.0)?

The 92 needs a replacement dist. and the replacement dist. is much cheaper for the 96.

(Posting for ILLXJ at a undisclosed remote location)

TIA

Haleyes said:
Will a dist. from a 96 XJ (4.0) work in a 92 XJ (4.0)?

The 92 needs a replacement dist. and the replacement dist. is much cheaper for the 96.

(Posting for ILLXJ at a undisclosed remote location)

TIA

My info says 91-3, and 94-7.

for the sake of saving money I hope I'm wrong.

no worky different parts according to jeep dealer parts guy they say it has a different gear but hopefully he is wrong i would get second opinion

The '92 and '96 distributors are basically the same and they should interchange. The only problem might be a difference in the cam position sensors but comparing the two side by side, they look identical to me.

That is the info I needed. The cam pos. sen. + a new seal for the 92 will be about $85. A new 96 dist. with a cam pos. sen. is about $97. So for $12 extra I can get everything new & if I ever need to change the cam pos. sen. I will not need to remove the dist. next time. JIM.

Back