• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Protecting my Bushwackers…

Jeep-Guy

NAXJA Forum User
What is the recommended care for bushwackers? I was thinking about having LineX applied, but I have heard that it will peel soon after it is applied and it looks really bad. What is the best way to protect them?

wow...3 posts and not even one answer or anything, is this forum becoming JU or something? What do you mean protect them? Like keep them black? or keep them from getting smashed? just a little info that might help someone give you an answer

BRIANHO13 said:
X2
I have seen them shatter on the smallest of hits.

i have stock flairs and have heard lots of bad about the bush wackers and ever funnier is the warranty. For example dispite the name being bush wacker you can hit a bush with your faires, tear your mounts out and its not covered. HEE HEE bush wackers. Nice marketing .... back on point.

I would run them stock color/finish if you must, and not spend the money on Line x UNTILL THEY FADE. They might not last long enough to fade so its a moot point trying to protect them.

bushwackers do there job and cover larger tires on road. ( you guys do know many people dd there rigs:kissyou:) they keep ya legal. the best thing you can do is get make them detachable so when you hit the trail you can strap down inside. i experimented with using snaps on tj flairs and they would have worked well except that the natural curvature of the xj body was constantly bending the tj flairs and the snaps were just not enough to hold on with the bending and highway speeds. they may work just fine for bushwackers which are molded closer to the body lines. there is also a fastern called dzus (i beleive) that is a quarter turn to lock type deal that would allow you to remove them easily when hitting the trail.

Jeep-Guy said:
What is the recommended care for bushwackers? I was thinking about having LineX applied, but I have heard that it will peel soon after it is applied and it looks really bad. What is the best way to protect them?
to care for them soap and water... maybe some armor all? to protect them from getting broken on the trail is a tough one... get a cage and run it outside of them? i dunno if you mean to protect them from fading just use that forever black stuff or whatever its called to make them look new agian... i dunno if that helped you at all but it had to more than saying throw them away, sell them, or leave them in the box...

KarlVP said:
If you wheel in wa and you don't thing bushwackers are bad, you don't wheel.

Plain and simple. Sell them to someone who doesn't know any better.

I agree. I only run them to stay legal. On the trail they absolutely suck. I have broken mine off a few times.

bj-666 said:
bushwackers do there job and cover larger tires on road. ( you guys do know many people dd there rigs:kissyou:) they keep ya legal. the best thing you can do is get make them detachable so when you hit the trail you can strap down inside. ...there is also a fastern called dzus (i beleive) that is a quarter turn to lock type deal that would allow you to remove them easily when hitting the trail.

X2
Sounds like a great idea to me. Especially the quarter turn fasteners, i've run those on boats(soft windows, covers, cab "masks"...) and they work great. The only thing that might be tough is to find them with a deep enough gap for both the body and flair to fit in the fastener still allowing it to turn. Sounds like if it is done right it would be fast, easy, and secure.:read:

KarlVP said:
If you wheel in wa and you don't thing bushwackers are bad, you don't wheel.

Plain and simple. Sell them to someone who doesn't know any better.
Matt98XJ said:
I agree. I only run them to stay legal. On the trail they absolutely suck. I have broken mine off a few times.

I wheel all over Washington, Montana, and some in Oregon. I have never had a problem with them shattering, in a few cases they even protected my XJ from major body damage, I guess it’s just simply the capability of the driver and the vehicle.

Last edited:
Zice said:
to care for them soap and water... maybe some armor all? to protect them from getting broken on the trail is a tough one... get a cage and run it outside of them? i dunno if you mean to protect them from fading just use that forever black stuff or whatever its called to make them look new agian... i dunno if that helped you at all but it had to more than saying throw them away, sell them, or leave them in the box...

Thank you! I’m just trying to find the best way to keep them looking like new, I have heard from some people that the poor care of the bushwhackers will eventually lead to a fragile plastic. Your help has been much appreciated anything would be better then, like you said, “throwing them away, selling them, or leaving them in the box” :)

Jeep-Guy said:
Thank you! I’m just trying to find the best way to keep them looking like new, I have heard from some people that the poor care of the bushwhackers will eventually lead to a fragile plastic. Your help has been much appreciated anything would be better then, like you said, “throwing them away, selling them, or leaving them in the box” :)

i am not an expert on plastics but from what i know ... superfical caring for them will not extent the life in any way what so ever. Sure depending on the type of plastic and how much and how warm sun exposure could prematurely age and make them more brittle than new. This would take a good 3-4 years in my estimation and thats in a warm as hell area like arizona, nevada, texas etc. In the midwest, pacific northwest etc i doubt the sun could age them much at all in less than 10 years.

Jeep-Guy said:
I wheel all over Washington, Montana, and some in Oregon. I have never had a problem with them shattering, in a few cases they even protected my XJ from major body damage, I guess it’s just simply the capability of the driver and the vehicle.

A bushwacker, protecting you from body damage? Sure. You must be talking about wheeling in mud pits. In that case sure, it'll protect the body from flying debris. Otherwise trees WILL take them right off.

all depends on what you want. i'm considering getting a set for mine, depending on the tires i get for it after phil and i lift it. but i dunno. i use my cj5 for bashin around out in the trash...and Monster took his fair share of a beating at NW fest....but the only flares on it are on the back.

If you want a cheap easy way to make them removable, when I still had them (Before I sold them to someone that didnt know better) I drilled the holes in the sheet metal out bigger to accomodate some plastic wall mount anchors. Then the stock bushwacker screws went into those instead of the sheet metal. That way you dont have to worry about ripping the sheet metal or messing up the threading in the sheet by taking them off for wheeling. I also used armor all tire foam on mine to clean them up, worked real nice.
I put the wall anchors on because I ripped ALL of the flairs off on my first trip out with them. So my metal was screwed right off the bat, and from there they pulled out nice and easy every time I went out wheeling. I wouldnt even do it myself, just let the trees do it and throw htem in the back! These guys speak truth though, if you really plan on wheeling they will not last, but if your goal is to be street legal you are good to go!
j

Back