• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY SYE and driveshaft combo complete!!

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this has taken waayyy too long but i finally got this out of my way. I used a Rubicon Express seal housing and the corvette style yoke found on eBay. I also used a front driveshaft out of a 96? Grand Cherokee.. I found these to actually be about 2 1/2 inches longer than a cherokee front driveshaft.. so i lucked out there..everything went together fine with a little measuring and some cutting and drilling. I took off approx 2 1/8 of the output shaft and left approx 1 1/4 of splines. I had to search 3 napa auto stores in order to find the right national seal to use. i spent a total of $232 on this but it sure as hell beats tom woods $500 when youre on a budget so i saved a few bucks there.. definitely reccomend this if you have time and are on a budget.. it takes a bit to get everything together but it definitely comes together nicely.

AKswampheep said:
I also used a front driveshaft out of a 96? Grand Cherokee.. I found these to actually be about 2 1/2 inches longer than a cherokee front driveshaft..
WHat is the length of the drive shaft? Weld to weld on the long section that is?

Thanks

what budget? arent u the one that makes 30 dollars an hour
looks good tho from the crap picture

Last edited:
pretty much the same thing i did except i got the h and t from RE since i have the newer t-case. also used a zj driveshaft as they were the longest i could find but were also a bit smaller than an xj shaft. no troubles with it so far.

Nope, no crack slingin around here.. just cleanin paint booth's for Subaru.. the length of the shaft from middle of u joint to middle of u joint with the slip halfway extended is 35 inches

AKswampheep said:
Nope, no crack slingin around here.. just cleanin paint booth's for Subaru.. the length of the shaft from middle of u joint to middle of u joint with the slip halfway extended is 35 inches
Cool, thanks.

Ok, theres been a few questions PM'd to me about this and i just wanted to clear things up. I used a Rubicon Express seal housing, part of their hack n tap SYE kit, you just have to call and order it seperately. I had to go and search a few napa stores to find the right seal that would fit the housing and a 1.5" diameter shaft. Then i used a "corvette style yoke" that you can find on ebay that will run you for a total of $125. I cut the output shaft of my 242 to where there was 1" 1/4 left of splines. Then i cut the yoke to where the back would have about 1/2" inside the seal, and so that the inside end would sit against the output shaft. I drilled and tapped for a 3/8-16 bolt and used a dome washer and tightened the yoke to the output shaft. then installed my grand cherokee front driveshaft and was on my way.

Back