• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shop charges for aw4 leak

bbanceu

NAXJA Forum User
My AW4 on my xj is leaking after reaching operating temp. It seems to drip out at a steady rate when the tranny is hot from between the engine and the bell housing. Of course it drips right onto the hot exhaust pipe leaving a very large smoke cloud behind me. :). Any ideas what this would cost to repair at a shop? I understand the parts are pretty cheap, so I'm guessing it's mostly labor. I'm wondering if I should attempt this job myself...
Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like a front pump seal. You'll want to pull the transmission, pull the torque converter, and the seal is right there. Put it, tap in the new one (with a light bead of RTV Black around the outside, just for good measure,) and reassemble.

I've done this a couple times, it's pretty easy. I've no idea what a shop would charge, since I've not taken one in...

5-90

Have a look at the cooler lines too. There is a clamp on the lines right at the bellhousing that can sometimes wear through the lines. You can also pull the aluminum inspection cover from the front-lower part of the bellhousing and have a look inside. If it is the front seal, you should see oil inside the bellhousing. It is tranny fluid and not motor oil right? If it's wet on the front side of the flexplate, I would think it's probably engine oil.

I'm sure it is tranny fluid because the level goes down after after it starts leaking, and I have to add a half a quart or so. It doesn't leak at all on short trips around town. Thanks for the tip on checking the cooler lines. I will do that next time it starts to leak. Another strange thing, seems fine when I'm actually out wheelin' around at low speeds, working the jeep pretty hard. It's worst when I stay at highway speeds for an extended period of time.

If you take to a shop they will charge you 4.9 hours so find out their labor rate per hour and times it by 4.9, that is straight from alldata labor times

Thanks, you all have been extremely helpful.
One more question for you ripkord99 - 4.9hours total for tranny removal AND re-install? Would you say $50/hr is a reasonable rate?

Rates can vary with geographic location, but I can tell you that 50/hr up here in MA is a very reasonable rate! 65 is good, and about the lowest anyone will go.

Here in Washington, plan on getting hosed.

Do it yourself. Some jackstands, and common hand tools, you can do it in a day if you are inexpierenced. This is the place to ask questions if you get stuck.

Anywhere near everett? I can help you with.

Back