• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild NP231

I just rebuilt mine NP 231 with SYE. Cost for parts: rebuild kit with all new bearings, seals, both thrust plates, all new retainers and a new chain for $240 delivered. Took about 8 hours to remove, clean, rebuild and re-install. It's not that hard to do yourself with basic tools. A builder will charge about 8 hours labor + parts ($900-$1100).

Well I already have a new chain and a new tail extension with new bushing and seal. The case is covered in fairly fine metal shavings inside but everything I can see with the cases split looks ok. I'm trying to make up my mind if I should pull the other half off the AW4 and rebuild it or bolt it back together and see what I've got. It all worked fine before I split the case, the chain had just stretched and apparently jumped off the sprockets, didn't know that was posible but when I pulled the rear case the chain was off the sprockets. I started this project cause I had no front drive!!

well, if your going to rebuild it, ordering the rebuild kit takes about 1.5 weeks to get in. Also, all those metal shavings you found, some will end up in the bearings and cause premature wear. Might be OK for awhile though. You could just put the new chain in and drive it, rebuild it another day.

Yea my thinking exactly. I'm thinking the metal chips have been in there a while and they are stuck to the case and I'm cleaning what I can reach. So I'm thinking put it together, put new dex in it and run it. Then change the DEX often till it comes out red. I am waiting right now for a new filter screen thingey as someone had cut the old one open at some point in the past. I got the chain from NAPA locally but the rest of the parts I've had to order online. I used Morris out of Florida, good prices and so far decent delivery. About a week to So Cal.

Back