• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure guage reading high

rehab

NAXJA Forum User
i searched, and i need more info. i changed my oil the other day and the oil pressure was reading about 50-40 psi, after i changed the oil the guage was reading well over 80 so i figured i got some oil on the connector to the sending unit since i had to unplug it to remove the filter. so i replaced the sending unit with one from my 95 engine i had in my garage. that didnt work, it still read high. then today i put in another sending unit that would hook up to an aftermarket guage (bell shaped) inline with the other sender. now it is reading slightly lower but is still a hair above 80 psi. when i accelerate the pressure drops slightly.

i understand that my problem can lie with
1. sending unit
2. grounded sending wire
3. stuck pressure relief valve

since ive gone over everything but the pressure relief valve, how hard is it to replace or fix. is it going to cause problems? the engine runs fine and i have driven it over 30 miles like this with no issues.

Last edited:
What brand oil filter ? Fram, if so ditch it for a wix, mobil1, K&N or Mopar....

Verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. If it still reads over 60psi, you'll need to remove the oil pump and check the oil pressure relief spring. It may be stuck thereby not allowing the valve to open.
A change of oil filter might be worth a try but I doubt it'll work.

Back