• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting 8.8 gears

stupidfast

NAXJA Forum User
i think i heard that setting 8.8 gears is easyer and more amature friendly than a dana axle. is this true? who has set new gears in an 8.8? can anyone give a general overview? ive never done it.

are you going to need to drive this anytime soon, if so id say do it professionally or at least by someone you trust knows their stuff, gears are somethin you dont want to mess with if you dont no how...
however if it isnt a need to do now, then practice all you want

i dont no about if its easier or not, just wanted to let you know that installing gears and setting backlash and the right amount of grab and surface touch is very precise and not for ameteurs (i dont do mine i have my mechanic frends do it)

yeah i just cant afford to have someone do it for me. does anyone have any experiance on setting 8.8 gears?

8.8 gears are no different than most Dana axles. You shim the carrier and the pinion to get the right contact pattern and back lask.

If you plan on doing this yourself, save the old pinion bearing and hone it out a little so you can use that to set the pinion depth. Otherwise you will need to press and unpress it in as you find the right depth.

8.8's are slightly easier because the carrier bearing shims go outside the carrier bearing. So, you don't need setup bearings and you don't need to press the bearings off every time you want to change the B/L.

Everything else is the same as a Dana unit.

If you use the ford style shims to adjust carrier bearing preload and back lash make sure to stick them to the carrier bearing races and the slide (more likely deadblow hammer) the whole assembly in. it will help to have two people for this. The factory shims love to crack and shatter if you put the carrier in and then try to put the shims in

the only thing easier is you don't have to press on and off the carrier bearings. The pinion bearing you still need a puller/press to set the pattern right. It's definatly not something anyone can learn quickly and just figure out. Tooke me about a day and a half to figure my first 8.8 out, but I've done a few since then.

Back