• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil on my air filter?

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
i get some oil on my air filter and it comes from the front line on the valve cover and when it goes on the top of my air filter it makes its way up to the throttle body what could this be? i have a stock 4.0 in a 96 5 spd

Blowby gases are recirculated into the intake in an effort to burn all the fuel going into the engine. Blowby gas usually carries an oil mist with it, although this tends to separate out in the valve cover baffle.

Problem is, over time the inside of the CCV line picks up a layer of oil sludge, and as this gets longer, you'll start seeing it in the air filter.

The fix? Clean it. Take the line off and blow it out with carburettor cleaner - and maybe clean the baffle in the valve cover right before your next oil change.

This is a common issue, and also (usually) fairly easy to fix.

5-90

It's usualluy the rear CCV elbow that gloggs the fastes. Remove the elbow and clean it out with a paper clip and carb cleaner. I use TB safe carb cleaner, it seems to be a little easier in the plastic.

Then as mentioned, you can spray down into the grommet the elbow came from to clean up the baffle a little. Change the oil shortly afterwards.

Look into the 01 CCV conversion on www.madxj.com to get cleaner lines and elbows. I did this a couple of years ago and was pleased with how easy it came together.

I had a blowby problem on my 4.0L (220,000 miles) and cleaned the valve cover and put new CCV lines in and it solved the problem for a year or so then it came back. My problem is my rings but Im not ready to do a rebuild yet so I put a band aid on mine. I installed a catch can along the line that runs to my air filter, it catches everything before it can make its way to the filter. Easy temporary fix!

TORX

Back