• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best oil/trans cooler? *PICS*

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've been hitting the local pick&pull a little bit and found a few good trans coolers, couldn't decide which would work the best, so I got them both.

I want to run a trans cooler right away and an oil cooler in the future, so I figure I can make use of them both, but I'd like the trans temp to be cooled the most and the edge taken off the engine oil (it will be on a thermostatic bypass).

With that said, which of these two cooler should provide the best cooling? Dimensions of the first one are 11"x10"x3/4", but the air passages are smaller and I kinda think it won't cool as efficiently (?).

P1030789.jpg

This is the second cooler, larger oil and air passages, although smaller overall dimensions- it looks like it might actually cool better than the other one, it's designed much like the coolers in Ford trucks, if you know what those are. Dimensions are 10"x4"x3/4".

P1030788.jpg

P1030787.jpg

Both appear to be rated for higher pressures, so either will work for engine oil, I'm kinda thinking of using the smaller cooler for oil, larger for trans and possibly abandoning the trans cooler in the radiator just to help the radiator cool that much better.

thoughts? Ideas? Is this pretty trivial,yeah, but I'm pretty anal, lol.

I would run the smaller as that design is considered more efficient and also it wont restrict the airflow as much through the radiator. Too many times have I seen people fit large coolers and end up with a hotter running engine instead due to the blocking of the airflow.

What is the smaller one from? That size works well for engine oil cooling duties, in my experience. I've also seen that size and design (plate and fin) work really well for cooling Ford auto's behind modded diesels. Those puppies run SUPER hot.

CRASH said:
What is the smaller one from? That size works well for engine oil cooling duties, in my experience. I've also seen that size and design (plate and fin) work really well for cooling Ford auto's behind modded diesels. Those puppies run SUPER hot.

The smaller one actually came out of an early '90's XJ, the larger one was hooked to an old Chevy literally with bailing wire. The structure of the smaller one is just like the stock Ford coolers- I have one of those on my bench also but it's far too thick to fit behind the stock grill on the XJ.

I have also seen several stock Jeep coolers, but I really don't think they will cool as efficiently as these because of the tight fin structure and small oil passages. Easy to mount though-

Another option is I really want things to be *right* is to get another similar to the smaller cooler and use one for engine oil and one for trans cooling, then sell the larger one on Ebay or something to recoup losses. I picked up the stock Ford cooler with the intention of mounting it into my new front bumper with a grill fabbed into the bumper, but it's taking far too long to get around to the bumper.

Gil BullyKatz said:
Driver side is the steering pump cooler...

A few Q's about the power steering pump-

Why? What pressure does the PS run, and concern over high pressure?

Thanks-

SCW said:
A few Q's about the power steering pump-

Why? What pressure does the PS run, and concern over high pressure?

Thanks-

Why? I have overheated mine, haven't you???

Put it in the low pressure return line.

Dirk Pitt said:
Why? I have overheated mine, haven't you???

Put it in the low pressure return line.

Exactly, stick it on the return line, it runs at minimal PSI.

Nothing worse than the burnt-box blues. I use a tranny cooler from a ZJ, and it works like a champ.

red91inWA said:
Enquiring minds want to know how you tied that into the system.

oh ok...

CRASH said:
Exactly, stick it on the return line, it runs at minimal PSI.

cut return line...

connect hose to one end of now severed return line...

connect hose to one end of cooler...

connect hose to other end of cooler...

connect hose to other end of return line...

open beer...

gloat at your handiwork and thank your opposable thumb and big cranium.

p.s. don't forget hose clamps and a need to mount it somewhere Einstein

Last edited:
Gil BullyKatz said:
oh ok...

cut return line...

connect hose to one end of now severed return line...

connect hose to one end of cooler...

connect hose to other end of cooler...

connect hose to other end of return line...

open beer...

gloat at your handiwork and thank your opposable thumb and big cranium.

p.s. don't forget hose clamps and a need to mount it somewhere Einstein

I got a place to mount it Poindexter. I'd hate to F everything up. I have the oposite of the king midas touch lately. :D

Gil BullyKatz said:
$30 NAPA Special.... and it's a Hayden!

So how does NAPA have them labled in their puter? As a tranny cooler?
Is it a kit? Do you get the thingys to hold it in place too?

I think I'm gonna snag one of these.
I looked around on NAPAONLINE and didn't find it.
Part# by chance?

Thanks guys.

Haleyes said:
So how does NAPA have them labled in their puter? As a tranny cooler?
Is it a kit? Do you get the thingys to hold it in place too?

I think I'm gonna snag one of these.
I looked around on NAPAONLINE and didn't find it.
Part# by chance?

Thanks guys.
I dont have a part number for you but autozone and murrays autoparts both sell hayden also. Yes all the coolers come with the mounting zip straps.

Speaking of killing stearing boxes. What are the systems of a heat killed box. I have been noticing some funny business in mine sense a day of low speed driving. Feal some pulsing in the stearing wheel on the return to center.

Stopped by NAPA this morning. $32 and change. It'll be here in the morning. The one I got is 3/4" X 5" X 12 3/4". It is also a Hayden.

Question:

If I paint it black, will it make it less efficient? I would think if it did, it'd only be minimal. Just curious.

Thanks guys.

Back