• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running out of options and $$$, please help.

ODXJ97

NAXJA Forum User
Symptoms: Intermittent stalling at idle and at speed, bucking, back firing at speed mostly at normal operating temp. CPU is giving no codes.

Replaced: Fuel pump & filters, TCS, IAC, CPS, cleaned carbon from throttle body and IAC port, new plugs-cap-rotor-wires. Now what... please don't tell me to search... I've nearly memorized every post by now.

Thanks. 1997 XJ SPORT

Bad gas ? Whats TCS or do you mean TPS for Throttle position sensor.

Yes, throttle position sensor... sorry. Bad gas... I doubt it. I just pulled the tank today to put the new fuel pump in. Th gas hasn't been sitting at all.

I had that same problem on my 97 Sport.
When I had it checked out it turned out to be the 'anti-theft' feature was shorting out and messing with my TPS, and in turn the engine computer. I had to press and hold the Cruise Control "Cancel" button on my steering wheel. Well that was acting up and somewhere along the lines it screwed up the TPS, which as I said messed with the engine computer. The fix was to remove the security feature (was glad to see it go) and actually the TPS didn't need to be replaced, everything has worked fine since.
I hope your problem is as easy to solve as mine was.

Get some contact cleaner. I DO NOT CARE that they ARE gold. Clean them check them closely and all plugs and wires under the hood. I can't count the number of good sensor that get replaced when they just needed there plugs cleaned

Check the Cat ! Give it a knock (but don't pund on it) and if you hear rattling, replace it. I am having the same problem and read on another thread that the Cat will cause these symptons without throwing any codes. Getting ready to relpace mine soon. Let me know if you replace the cat and it fixes the problem.

Thanks!
mo

+++ It's a Chreokee thing....... Chrysler doesn't understand! +++

pressurerat said:
It could possibly be the ASD relay under the hood. You could swap it with another relay.....free to test!

The ASD relay is the only one I have not replaced. What does that do/stand for? I will replace today.

I don't have cruise control.

I DO have a custom intake tube with cone filter... however, I figure the CPU has had plenty of time get a custom to it.

I replaced the ASD relay, and MAP sensor with no results. I guess I will try the temp sensor next.

I don't think this rig has a cat converter... all I saw was a bulge in the pipe before the exhaust. This is pissing me off.:gonnablow

Back