• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage Drop

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Somthing is dropping my voltage, my gauge dropped down to about the red tonight and almost stalled. Will not stay at 14 on the gauge.
Is this the battery, alt, or is something else drawing power?
I haven't checked the battery yet, but have made sure that battery cables are tight, (at the grounds) The alt is from Autozone, and I switched back to my old Powermaster and still have the same problems.
At a lose and NAC fest is next week, any ideas? thanks, Juice

It maybe your voltage drop because your engine is idling low. what is your rpm at idle.,
If the battery caps will come off at all check water level.
A heavily used winch will dry a "low maintenance" battery out.
Also how many lights and amplifiers are you running.
Clean all post check all wires bat and alt.
check belt(s)
Many Auto parts stores will check your starting/charging systems for free or real cheap if you get a battery or something from them.

juicexj24 said:
Somthing is dropping my voltage, my gauge dropped down to about the red tonight and almost stalled. Will not stay at 14 on the gauge.
Is this the battery, alt, or is something else drawing power?
I haven't checked the battery yet, but have made sure that battery cables are tight, (at the grounds) The alt is from Autozone, and I switched back to my old Powermaster and still have the same problems.
At a lose and NAC fest is next week, any ideas? thanks, Juice

Check the connections at the alternator and make sure they're not loose or dirty. Assuming you're not operating anything that places an additional electrical load on the battery, it seems the alternator isn't charging the battery quickly enough. Since you bought the alternator from Autozone, I suggest you take your Jeep there. They should be able to do a free diagnostic check.

Check the actually battery voltage with a DMM. If the batt volts is dropping down to 10 or less the battery is shot (possibly in addition to whatever damaged it). If the batt is showing good volts while the dash gage is low then you need to hunt for a bad connection.

Back