• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Used Dana 30 carrier question

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
Well against my better judgment I bought a used Dana 30 carrier and gear set off e bay. It arrived today I was giving it the once over. I’ll admit that I’m not an expert, but I noticed that the cross shaft bolt was missing. It had been replaced with a rolled metal pin. I'm assuming this isn't normal. Its been a long time since I had the Dana 35 apart. I can’t remember if the carrier is threaded or the cross shaft itself. Can someone advise what my best route would be? Please excuse my lack of experience. Thanks in advance blaise

slightly blury pic sorry
http://photos.yahoo.com/blaisetd

That's not necessarily a change - I've got two D35 carriers using a roll pin instead of a funky bolt to retain the crosspin (although I'd prefer the bolt, to be perfectly honest...)

Using a roll pin allows for less machining, and since the pin/bolt only serves to locate the crosspin in the differential carrier anyhow, there's not a lot of stress to worry about anyhow.

Just make sure you use the right size punch, and only drive the pin far enough to clear the crosspin (it's a lot easier to put back to rights that way, y'know...)

5-90

Back