• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating, yes I searched

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
Okay I've been working on cars for years and this has me stumped. Not overheating but running 220-230 all the time, slow/fast doesn't matter. New CSF radiator from DPG off road, new thermostat( high flow Mr gasket), and high flow housing( HEsco), new fan clutch,new water pump, new serpentine belt, new oem thermostat to replace the high flow, and still running hot, Burped the system, coolant coming out the sender when removed. New OEM sender for gauge. removed the driving lights from the grill guard just incase. The secondary fan comes on with this so I know the temp is up. Temp gauge for trans, both to cooler and back okay. also got an aftermarket trans cooler. aftermarket temp gauge confirms the temp. Next step is in IR one to verify. Was thinking a blown head gasket but not smoking white, not losing coolant, no oil in coolant/no coolant in oil. and the system was flushed but a local rad shop (Good shop) prior to rad change. Help I gotta drive the 87 stock instead of the lifted one. JOHN

If it is a closed system, try vacuuming down the entire system with something like an Airlift and then refilling it. Those systems are difficult to fill correctly without one. You could also possibly have a weak/wornout fan clutch. When does your secondary fan come on?

How did you set the belt tension ? Unless you used a gauge I bet the belt is sitting at about 80-90lbs vs the 160 a used belt is supposed to be sitting at..and yes a looser belt will NOT drive the pump correctly..it's only contacting about 1/3 of the pulley at best.

RNMedic said:
Okay I've been working on cars for years and this has me stumped. Not overheating but running 220-230 all the time, slow/fast doesn't matter. New CSF radiator from DPG off road, new thermostat( high flow Mr gasket), and high flow housing( HEsco), new fan clutch,new water pump, new serpentine belt, new oem thermostat to replace the high flow, and still running hot, Burped the system, coolant coming out the sender when removed. New OEM sender for gauge. removed the driving lights from the grill guard just incase. The secondary fan comes on with this so I know the temp is up. Temp gauge for trans, both to cooler and back okay. also got an aftermarket trans cooler. aftermarket temp gauge confirms the temp. Next step is in IR one to verify. Was thinking a blown head gasket but not smoking white, not losing coolant, no oil in coolant/no coolant in oil. and the system was flushed but a local rad shop (Good shop) prior to rad change. Help I gotta drive the 87 stock instead of the lifted one. JOHN

You might wanna make sure the engine isn't running too lean as this will make it run hot. Check the colour of the plugs. If they're white, it's lean and the reason might be an EGR valve stuck open. You can check the EGR valve anyway.
A plugged cat will also make the engine run hot because it won't allow hot exhaust gases to escape. Bash the cat with your fist (preferably when it's cold ;)) and see if it rattles like a can of marbles.

yup a 50/50 mix. belt tension is per FSM, new belt. I am leaning toward lean. possibly a bad injector or 2. Cat is 18 months old.

Finally got back to it EGR valve replaced with one of a parts manifold, still no go started back tracking and EGR valve solenoid on left inner fender bad, 65 bucks at dealership, will know if this is it Thursday when it gets here. John

Back