• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping clusters

1999mj

NAXJA Forum User
I curently have a 99 base model XJ with no gauges in the cluster just lights. I want to swap in another cluster with gauges. Is the wiring diferent or is this just a simple unplug and plug in swap? Any info would be great thanks.

I'm inclined to think that everything goes over the CCD bus and gets decoded by the cluster, so it's probably plug-and-pray.

Do bear in mind that the mileage is stored (apparently) in both the cluster controller/decoder and the PCM, so you'll need to note the discrepancy in your paperwork, or see about getting the cluster reprogrammed to match the PCM.

5-90

It's easy. Unplug the old cluster, plug in the new one, and change your oil pressure sending unit and your coolant temperature sending unit. At least, that's how it is on the 96- XJs.

OBD-II doesn't use separate signals to drive the various gages - they're all driven by the PCM via the CCD bus. I'd have to check, but I believe all the sensors are the same between the light cluster and the gage cluster.

If not, the sensors themselves are still rather easy to change.

5-90

5-90 said:
OBD-II doesn't use separate signals to drive the various gages - they're all driven by the PCM via the CCD bus. I'd have to check, but I believe all the sensors are the same between the light cluster and the gage cluster.

If not, the sensors themselves are still rather easy to change.
Oh. Ignore that last post of mine then. :D

Senders are the same for 97+, I'm running a cluster out of a 97TJ in my 98XJ.
Only difference was the 'security' and 'washer fluid' lights were reversed so I pulled one bulb and now when my washer fluid gets low the security light comes on. I'd hunt for one from your same year though or as close as possible..

Back