• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced stock injector with Bosch - Results

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if this belongs in this section or stock but....
My 90's injectors started leaking after 178K miles just when I needed to go through the 2yr Emissions test!

Background:
The last time around I added the MAP adjustment to the circuit to get it to pass. I had been running Splitfires then and without adjustment, the engine failed. I swapped back to Champ Truck plugs and adjusted to 5.39V and passed without problems. I also have K&N stock replacement filter and Borla exhaust from the heat to the tip with a high flow cat.

Current:
So I had a set of injectors in a box and starte swapping them out. Couldn't find six that didn't leak fuel! So I ordered F83E- 20lb. injectors per the FiveMototSport recommendation and got them within 3 days. 20 min later I had it running. Wow what a difference! Ran through DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) dyno test and failed badly. 5.19 against the 2.4 standard for THC (Hydro Carbons), 1.00 against 3.75 standard for NOx and 109.1 against 80 standard for CO. And this was at the factory setting of 5V (MAP adjuster switch out of the circuit).

I won't bore you with the details of the next 5 failed tests! The bottom line was that I could not possibly pass. I graphed it out. My conclusion was that I should set votage so that I would run a little high on THC so that my NOx would pass and then put a hotter plug in. Guess what I choose! Yes, the splitfires from 2 years ago.

The test is acceleration up to 30 MPG and back down. If you don't pass the first ramp then they do three more and take the average. Every one of the tests had high THC on the first ramp. The average was being skewed by the initial run. I thought that if I could get the initial "bump" reduced I could pass.

It did! the results were with a voltage of 4.58 with the used Split fires. THC @ 1.59 and NOx @ 1.50.

So if you decide to replace your injectors with higher volume ones, be careful on which Plugs you use even if you have made minor mods. BTW: These injectors are pretty good. High rpm power is much improved due to the increased volumn. (I think). My next step is to install controls for the transmission and do a dyno run to validate A/F ratio's across the RPM range.

Last edited:
Back