• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Mods...

FoMoGo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all new to jeeping and for the most part to 4x4s.
Actually... its my 3rd 4x4.
1st was a 79 F150 short bed with 38s I used for mudding and creek bed running.
2nd was an 85 F150 ext cab 4x4 I used as a driver.

This is a100% bone stock 88 XJ Laredo. 4.0 5 speed.
I must say after having it only 2 days and doing some minor off roading/hill climbing I am impressed, amazed, and regretful of not getting an XJ years earlier.

This rig will be my daily driver with mostly hiway miles... and the occasional off pavement trip.
No serious off roading just some easy-moderate trails, climbing a few hills, and general horsing around in the dirt.

I was concidering a 2-3" lift, 31-10.50 AT tires, and swaybar discos.
It already has the stock trak loc rear.

For mild usage I figure this will be a good start.
I know a couple of jeep owners and was told that no matter what I do... its just a start to a long long procession of mods. And I fully believe them.
Doinf searches most of the focus I have found is on maximizing off road ability... I am looking for an acceptible comprimise.
I want my daily driver/road trip vehicle... that wont embarrass me and leave me stuck when the tires get dirty.

Thanks,

Jim

how much money is on the project.
a nice 3" kit and 31's would be affordable and effective without doing the major upgrades(sye,d.s.,gears, etc)

i would recommend a 3.5 RE

Have not settled on an exact amount for the modding, more of a "take it as I can" deal.
The 3.5RE, were you refering to the super ride or super flex?
As a start... I have concidered a 2" BB and maybe some 29"s

Currently has 225-75-15 goodyear conquests, so anything would be better off pavement.

Jim

I started with a 98 XJ Sport and here's what I have so far and what I have planned based on my first trail ride:

Done
1. Almost 3" lift - Put in RE 2.5" AAL and had to use ACOS to Level. Netted almost 3".
2. 30x9.50-15 AT's - Because it's a Daily Driver
3. Rear Hitch for a Tow Point - Hits rocks a lot, but provides some protection
4. C4x4 Tow Hook Brackets and shackles
5. T-Case lower kit to eliminate vibes
6. Didn't need to trim even at full flex
7. No discos yet, doing it the PITA way with a wrench

I just did my first real real ride with my club and it did awesome. Only needed one winch when I got my rear diff hug up.

Check out these vids of some pretty built rigs and my XJ on the same obstacle... TJ with 4" lift and 33's open, Grand Cherokee with 6" lift and 33's locked rear, Rubicon with 4" lift and 33's locked front and rear, XJ 3" lift with 30's and open

Vids

Biggest problems I had was low diff clearance, no rocker protection and lack of traction.

First Priority:
1. Rock Rails (Sliders) - Gonna go with Detours
2. Diff guards - Would love the full replacement covers like Rock crusher but too much $$. Not sure which one's yet.
3. Dedicated Mud tire and steel rims for trail rides. Put on the AT's and Alloy rims for Daily Driving.
4. Discos

Down the road
1. More lift and trimming, enough to accomodate 33's
2. 33" Mud Tire
3. SYE and driveshaft
4. Skid plates

Rock rails are way overrated, in my opinion. Your first armor should be a gas tank skid, followed by a t-case/belly skid. I went wheeling for the first time last Saturday, and dented my unprotected gas tank and crossmember so severely that they'll need to be replaced, but my rocker panels didn't get dented at all.

As for me, I'm running the Rubicon Express 2" kit (add-a-leaf, not block) with 31" Interco TrXus M/Ts and cut fenders. I love my lift/tire setup; now I just need armor.

Mambeu said:
Rock rails are way overrated, in my opinion.

It all depends on the trails that you run I guess, if you run on some pretty big rocks and you want to keep your doors opening and closing, rock sliders can be very useful. I nailed the pinch seam because I slid sideways off a rock. I do agree that other armor is important too.

gorilla_skater said:
It all depends on the trails that you run I guess, if you run on some pretty big rocks and you want to keep your doors opening and closing, rock sliders can be very useful. I nailed the pinch seam because I slid sideways off a rock. I do agree that other armor is important too.
Oh, I'm not saying 'don't get rock rails'; I'm just saying that I'd rather protect the mechanically important parts (gas tank, t-case, et c.) before the rocker panels.

From what I am seeing... recovery equipment ranks as high if not higher than trail mods.
Looks like I had an OK idea in the slight lift and more capable tires.
I think I will look into the RE lift and some skid plates and hooks, and then the tires.
Then again... I have no current difficult OR plans... so I may do the plates and hooks later.
The order of things is as complicated as the parts...

Jim

Back