• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll-on bedliner ?'s

white99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've narrowed my choice down to either using the white Herculiner to cover my inset of the grill and moldings/bumpers to give my Sport a solid white look like the Classics have or just using the basic black. Didn't know how this has worked out for people since the only feedback I've been able to get was from friends that have used it on truck beds. And if anyone has any feedback of their own or pictures of this done I'd like to see how it turned out.

kinda same topic but is there a big difference or any difference between Herculiner and the roll on bed liner you can get from walmart in the square metal can(sorry, dont have a brand name)? its about half the price and the auto parts clerk said his boss had used the cheap sh*t and couldnt tell a difference....

Just my personal opinion...

I like Herculiner for the interior (and I've used some left over on my rock rails too) however, it is very coarse so I'm not sure I'd like having it on the body, grill or flares. On the contrary I've seen Rhino lining on an XJ body, and that was really nice, but that's what you pay for with a professional install.

The Herculiner might not be as coarse if you thin it out some more and still work, but I can't guarantee it.

southernoregonxjer said:
kinda same topic but is there a big difference or any difference between Herculiner and the roll on bed liner you can get from walmart in the square metal can(sorry, dont have a brand name)? its about half the price and the auto parts clerk said his boss had used the cheap sh*t and couldnt tell a difference....
Herculiner is pretty good. Duplicolor (Square bluish can) sucks. But be carefull while working with herculiner cause it can be dangerous.

EricsXJ said:
I like Herculiner for the interior (and I've used some left over on my rock rails too) however, it is very coarse so I'm not sure I'd like having it on the body, grill or flares. On the contrary I've seen Rhino lining on an XJ body, and that was really nice, but that's what you pay for with a professional install.

The Herculiner might not be as coarse if you thin it out some more and still work, but I can't guarantee it.

Actually if you thin out the herculiner you loose all the benefits of it. Anyways I agree with you: herculiner for grill would not work out too good. But for the body ;) I think herculiner is the answer to all my dents :D

Yeah I read that particular incident you linked to.

While not applying it to "certain" areas of my body, I have been very impressed with its adhessiveness to a variety of different surfaces. ;)

I know that guy personally I was at his wedding a couple years ago at Top of the World In Moab. He is a knock up guy, and his wife she is pretty cool as well, wedding in Moab and wheeling all weekend...they are great people, but that was a hilarious accident.
J

white99XJ said:
And if anyone has any feedback of their own or pictures of this done I'd like to see how it turned out.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86313

I love it on the lower exterior. Absolutely no negatives. On the interior floor, though, I almost want to do another coat or two. The transmission tunnel gets really, really hot (when I was wheeling last Saturday I actually cooked my lunch on it), though that won't be a problem for you if you're not doing the interior.

I think bedliner is great on things that will be scratched and rubbed against, like lower rear quarters and rocker panels. I wouldn't do it on a bumper or grille though.

I recommend Mortons bedliner on the outside, it is similar texture and gloss as rhino liner. You spray it on with a paint gun air compressor set up. I have posted about this in several places on NAXJA so search is your friend. I just did some real heavy brushing through white thorn bushes that broke my rear view mirror but the mortons held up great. PM me if you want.

jeep.jpg

yota.jpg

I recommend Duplicolor spray in bed liner. It is an aerosol can that you can get at most auto parts stores. It has a textured finish, but not as rough as the roll on stuff. It works great for low wear areas such as grills, bumpers, etc.

I used grey herculiner on some rock bars. It is pretty good stuff the duplicolor stuff blows, you get what you pay for. As a side note durabak is who makes herculiner ( so it is the same quality) and you can spray them on as well as brushing them and rolling, each produces a little different finish. Mine held up even after dragging the bars over rocks and using my hi lift on it to jack numerous times on my ZJ.

I just Herculined my whole XJ on Monday - the look isn't for everyone, but it was in need of a paint job and why pay several hundred for one just to scratch it up? This was $90 and I don't have to worry about it. The procedure was easy and although you can thin it out (or not stir it up) which leaves the plastic particles out of it, it'll look more like regular paint, but it will be scratchable which IMO defeats the purpose.

Back