• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Skid Plate

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't find anything by searching although I know Porch Puppy has built a Cat skid, so I went ahead and built my own. At $80 a pop, I didn't want to buy ANOTHER one after smashing it at BOTW. I'm pretty sure it'll hold up now. By the way, after smashing it, apparently the catalyst broke down into small pieces and exited through the muffler since when I took the cat off, it was empty! :) For those that are wondering, I am running a '93 Borla header and cat back on my '98, so I used a Catco Cat for a '93 and added an O2 bung for the '98. I also had to shorten the input pipe since I have a custom pipe from the header to the cat due to my hidden long arm with flat crossmember suspension. Look here for the pics: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IbtGzVo3bMeq

Jeff

Yeah, I wanted to extend the normal skid, but since mine is already flat with the front part of the frame rail, as it extends back, it actually hangs below the rear portion of the frame. This makes for a difficult design of a skid that goes under the cat AND one doesn't want to trap too much heat from the cat between a skid and the body. Also, I don't think my cat would fit between the current skid level and the body. Finally, it was easier to skid the cat directly instead of building one to go under it. Taking the time to engineer a skid that tucks up high and goes under the cat with adaquete ventilation would be the best way to go, but I went the path of least resistance. :) Jeff

Back