• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atf+4

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
ok i just looked at my chrysler book and it says to use dexron 2 and when i went to the auto parts store they said to run atf+4 for my 95 xj with a np231 with an sye which one is it?

Are you asking what to put in your transmission or transfer case? Dex III for the tranny and I'd use synthetic in the transfer case. ATF+4 is synthetic or you can use mobil 1 ATF.

Yeah, don't use ATF+4! The staff at most discount parts places are the monkeys that weren't qualified for testing at the drug labs! They just read whatever their computer says, and just like aftermarket service manuals they are full of errors. It would probably work ok in the t-case, but it's better and cheaper just to stick with the dex.

price is not really a prob right now due to two jobs but i just dont want any problems with my t case or trans. i have been running atf+4 in my trans for about 5000 miles and it has been running great so far... but i want to run new fluid in my t case and want it to last for a while, i have searched and have got mixed answers about which one to use for the t case and tranny so... would dex III be best for my trans and t case?? also i was wondering about b & m trick shift has anyone ran this straight yet opposed to dex III or should i just stick with the Dex?

DurbElites said:
atf+4 in my trans for about 5000 miles and it has been running great so far...

Perfect...you can use all that extra money you have to buy a new tranny! :D (in other words...flush that crap out!) You see, ATF+4 is made by Chrysler, specifically for chrysler transmissions. It's a very unique fluid, with different properties than Dexron. Lucky for all of us; however, the AW4 (your transmission) was NOT made by Chrysler!! This also means that Chrysler fluid is the wrong fluid.

ok now i will notify my two other friends to flush quick. and i dont want to waste money on a trans i would much rather upgrade my short arm to a rubicon exp. long arm upgrade insteaD of a rebuilt stock trans.

glad to hear others are using synthetic in the Tcase. i'll be changing mine out this week for a run this weekend and wanted to go syn. pretty big on mobil1 so most likely will run it. haven't used B&M in my cherokee, but have been running it in my scoutII (727 trans) and it's great stuff. tranny shifts better, runs cooler with it. anyone use it in their cherokee? i've read that it's basically F type fluid and not sure if that would be so good in the AW4.

Back