• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna writeup

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a writeup on mounting the grove mount from walcott's CB that goes between the hatch and the tail light... and yes, i did seach (for about 20 mins). Thanks, Travis

This won't help you much, but I made my own. Some 3/16 steel, some cutting and 5 minuets of welding, some red paint. Cost less than $5 to make.

dsc001045qu.jpg

FYI on the last trip out I ripped off my antenna, it was on the back of my bumper, directly behind the drivers side tail light........moral of story is protect it the best you can, and that being on the side of your rig makes it vulnerable.

BRIANHO13 said:
FYI on the last trip out I ripped off my antenna, it was on the back of my bumper, directly behind the driversside tail light........moral of story is protect it the best you can, and that being on the side of your rig makes it vulnerable.

i never ripped that mount off before i moved the antenna.....but i was always worried about it.

i'm sure if i had kept that mount, it would have been ripped off

IntrepidXJ said:
this mount?

4.jpg
yes, i remember seeing a write up on installing it, but cant find it now... even though this seems pretty straight foreward, it would still be nice to have some kind of guide

IntrepidXJ said:
i never ripped that mount off before i moved the antenna.....but i was always worried about it.

i'm sure if i had kept that mount, it would have been ripped off

Yup, haven't even looked into a new antenna yet. Off all the damage I did that day that was the one thing that irritated me.

Nothing should be mounted to the side of a wheeled vehicle.
You can always be careful, but there's always that one time you can't help it.
It's all downhill after that..........

I had mine mounted with the Firestik mount above the tail light. It ended up tearing the sheetmetal after a couple of hits.

Take it off or break it off, side mounted antennas are for folks who don't wheel........

It may not be the best performing, but I went with a through the glass type. It's worked well on the trail, and i'd say it's range is about 2 miles with my crappy midland CB on the highway.
That way you could mount it to the back glass, and it you hit soemthing it will flop backwards. That's how I mounted mine on my MJ, didn't have any other spots because of my sunroof.

i use a magnet base antenna on the roof with a whip style antenna, most of the time it bends around the branches but if some thick branches drag the roof, the base will fall off then i just toss it back up there and it sticks wherever. i usually knock it off three or 4 times while wheeling but it takes about 3 secs to re-stick it to the roof.

this has worked the best for me because it will fall off before anything breaks.

-tim

I drilled a hole in the bumper cap and bumper right in front of the taillight and mounted the antenna directly to the rear bumper. I put a little antenna ball on it to keep it from hitting the lift gate and it seems fine. I have it spring mounted so I can still open the lift gate.

The one I pictured has been on for 3 years with no problems, but I agree it is in a bad spot for the "extreme" wheelers. I wheel mine but I take it easy on my stuff since it has to get me to work everyday. Really no matter where you put the antenna, it could be broken or do damage to the vehicle.

I used a Firestick hood mount. Works well so far. It's screwed into the fender, and comes up through the gap of the fender and hood. So it's not hanging off the side of the vehicle.

Back