• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC 360 to AW4

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been told that the AMC 360 will bolt up to the AW4 tranny, but what about the flexplate? Can I keep the stock flexplate and still use the AW4 tranny? If I do keep the flexplate which one do I use?

Any info any of you have on this would be greatful. I am starting to buy parts now and I am double checking all the information I have been given.

sweet you got some help man.
he is running carbed brett.
MSD ignition
one thing i was thinking is how does that motor shift the tranny and work with the tcu?

Go visit www.bulltear.com

It's an AMC heavy site, cars and Jeeps. Owner is a manufactgurer who likes to performance stuff for the AMC V-8s.

I know one of the guys did an AMC 360 to AW4, and I'm pretty sure he used Brett's shifter.

HTH

Erik

BrettM said:
I've sold a few (2?) to guys that have put AW4s behind a 360. If you didn't use a manual controller you will have a lot of "fun" wiring up the TCM to a carb ;)

well bud, enlighten me. I will gladly put your manual controller in. I do not like wiring, lol.

and yeah I went to bulltear.com to order my parts...

Last edited:
Yeah I will run your shifter...And as far as flexplates go, are you saying I can omit one all together or I need to run the flexplate from the 4.0L? The flexplate I got the 5.9L with is in need of replacing.

You'll need to run a flexplate - something has to couple the torque convter to the crankshaft (the torque convterter is coupled to the transmission input with splines. The other side bolts to the flexplate, which bolts to the crankshaft, and that is the mechanical coupling to the engine.)

I'm not sure if you'd need an AMC360 flexplate, or an AMC242 flexplate, since I don't remember how the AMC360 starter wants to mount up, nor what size the flexplate it. I'm not even sure I'd have that in my notes anywhere...

Yet.

5-90

I am apart of that group. Not much info found. I will ask again b/c there seems to be a boost in activity.

SO I just need to get the right flex plate to match the starter gear?

Pretty much. I'd look into whether you can bolt the AW4 torque converter to the 360 flexplate, or if you can get one made to fit.

That would seem, to me, to be about the easiest way to go.

I'd appreciate a writeup when you're done (with pix, if possible...) and feel free to bounce ideas off of me while you're sorting things out.

5-90

I put a 401 in front of an AW4. The 401 flexplate did not work out well, I had to drill the mounting holes and do some other funky stuff to make it work. The 401 is externally balanced, I don't know about the 360. My best bet would have been a 4.0 flexplate set to the same balance factor as the 401 'plate.

As for the TCU, I ran a throttle body EFI and wired up the AW4 to work normally. It's a pain though, I'd recommend BrettM's shifter instead.

okay that is what I will do. I will make a detailed record of what I do, and will try and get some pics. Do not expect a masterpiece of a writeup.

Back