• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console

Woody Long

NAXJA Forum User
Hey boys and girls, I'm a newbie here so don't burn my ass too much about this question. I did a search about it but I still have some unanswered questions.

I acquired an overhead console from what I thought was a 2000 Cherokee, but it may be from a 94~96. I scrounged up some #'s and here they are (they are on the back of the console)

Mini Van

4688400 W/ELECT
4688399 W/O ELECT
4688401 EURO

and

Jeep

Then there is a sticker with

011 095N54

I want to get it working on the bench (or living room floor) so I grabbed some wiring diagrams for 94~97 and got cracking. I marked all the wires that came out of the front of the unit and was able to get the lights wired up and working, but the temp sensor won't show anything and I'm am little scared to wire up the compass (plus I don't really know what to hook up).

I can't post a pic up now (don't have the camera), but the unit has fabric covering the whole perimeter of it, has the STEP and US/M buttons only, and the little bubble that harnesses the remote door locks.

Looking at the diagrams the Serial Buss wires up to the HEVAC Control, does this need to be hooked up to get the temp sensor working?

Thanks

IIRC all XJ consoles have wires for the temp sensor. The 8?-96 only have temp and the compass. The 97-00 have temp, compass, trip computer, fuel milage info, and a few more things. ZJ, and 92-(at least)95 van consoles have all the things that the 97+ consoles have, but everything is read from the CCD BUSS conection. So if you have a van, or ZJ console the only thing you will get to work is the compass, and lights. If you have a 97-00 console trying to swap into a pre 97. The only things you will get to work is temp, compass, and the lights.

The little bubble sounds like a 1990's console. Use the SEARCH feature, there are several excellent threads on adapting and/or installing overhead consoles.

Use the advanced search and search for postings by JeepZZ, he knows alot about the consoles and how they function.

1997 - 2001 console
standard.jpg

1996 console
standard.jpg

Last edited:
just a quick search but you might want to go through these threads, then if something stumps you then maybe it can be a specific question we can answer.

overhead link
one overhead link
two overhead link
three overhead link

the first link helpped me put in my overhead on my 88, dunno what your consol or XJ you have so i'm not sure how much of any of these articals will apply.
Welcome to the forums

P.S just saw Tim_MN has some good pictures up.

Thanks for all the links the forst one I've already seen, it's a good one.

Now that Tim_NM put up those pics I can see mine is not a 96 but it looks like the 97~01 but I don't have the sunvisor attachments on it.

But as it goes I wired her up and got the lights going. Then I pulled the display and compass unit out of the casing to find a burn mark on the LCD. Next I checked the voltage to the LCD and it came up with 12.2 volts. I know it had power to it but nothing worked.

This is the wiring form it.

RED/WHT - Hot
DK BLU/RED - REar LSP
VIO/WHT - Fuel Usage to Trip Counter
BLK/ORG - Ground
LT GRN/BLK - ENG/Metric SW
YEL/DK GRN - Fused Ignition
YEL - Courtesy Lights
DK GRN/RED - Ambient Temp Signal
LT GRN/WHT - Ambient Temp Return
WHT/BLK - Serial BUSS -
VIO/BRN - Serial BUSS +
ORG - Illumination

What other years can I swap the LCD unit from?

If it doesn't look exactly like the 97-01 console in the pic (sunvisors clip on) it is either from a Grand Cherokee or a Chrysler mini-van. Minivan consoles have 2 toggle switches for the rear power wing windows. The Grand console can be modified to fit but you run into the problem of different computer systems and no data to input to the trip computer. IIRC you will end up with only the temp and compass readouts.
XJ console
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the deal.

I should have stated this earlier. I have a 1980 Wagonner and I'm modding this console to fit in. I understand that the only things I'll have is the lights, compass and temp. That's fine with me.

Other's have used the Caravan console from 1984-1991.

This is what I have, It's not the 84~91 but also not the 97~01.

gallery_617_33_79760.jpg

This is the display screen in the unit, look at the bottom right.

gallery_617_33_71939.jpg

I know I'm repating myself but what years can I swap the computer and compass from to this unit?

Thanks

That looks like early ZJ before they moved the keyless entry to the passenger door. Any 97+ XJ, 93-98 ZJ or 92-95 (the van computer are good a few years after 95, but I dont know when they went to the new style computer) minivan computer will fit in the console. Now If I have this right 96-98 ZJs use the CCD BUSS to get the temp signal. Pre 96 have seprate wire for the temp sensor. I know on the 97-98 the illumanation is also controled by the CCD BUSS, but I'm not shure on the earliers. If it is you wont get it to light the display eather.

The display pictured looks good. The discoloration on the lower right corner is from the manufacturing prosess.

Back