• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint question

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of replacing the balljoints on both sides of my 96 and have run into a snag. The outter knuckle doesn't have a place for the threaded bushing to go. Is this part even used? I have replaced BJ's on a d44 and used the threaded bushing but this kind of threw me off when it wasn't there for the d30.

I read the MadXj article but his axle uses the bushings.

I have replaced them on my '88 XJ Dana 30 and....

The threaded bushing goes on the knuckle ....this is the mating end of the ball joint. You are talking about the threaded (castled) bushing. You need to unthread the old ones from the knuckle and screw these new ones in. Be aware, a certain amount of bushing has to be sticking out of the knuckle...the Haynes book gives the dimension. You will need a set of calipers to measure the distance.

Maybe you just cant see where the bushing is...try spraying some brke cleaner in there to look for them...they have the castled end on them.

Assuming the axle didn't change much from 1988 ro 1996...

Inthemudbud said:
Maybe you just cant see where the bushing is...try spraying some brke cleaner in there to look for them...they have the castled end on them.
Yeah, that's why it took me a while to find 'em. They are usually covered in crud. They actually came out easier than expected, given the gunk and hard time I had with the joints themselves.

The 96 doesnt use the adj collar.

lapisxj said:
That is what I needed to know. Thanks guys. Do ya'll know the torque spec for those upper and lower ball joint nuts?

FSM and Haynes says 75 ft/lbs. I just did them on my '91 no inserts here either.

Back