• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hood

Tugboat369

NAXJA Forum User
:repair: Some time back on the DeJA site someone asked how to open a XJ Hood when the latch cable brakes? :explosion Well in doing mod's to my XJ I found a easy way without hurting the Hood.
1- Remove both headlights and the headlight buckets. You will see a 13mm. bolt on the radiator brace behind the headlight.
2- Remove this bolt and there will be another bolt directly above that bolt. Remove that one also
3- Your hood will then be able to open because you have unbolted part of your hood latch.
4- the hood will not pop up because the springs will be unbolted. So use a flat stick to lift the hood.
:repair: :sunshine:
No damage.

you mean these? :D

31400483.jpg

31400225.jpg

Blaine B. said:
What kind of crazy turn signals do you have? They look neat!

I installed fog/driving lights there and moved turn signal duties to some trailer lights. If I had to do it again, I'd have gone with a better quality fog/driving light. These ones are falling apart. :(
Jeep on!
--Pete

133052099.jpg

I also changed to Hood Pins. But had to because I put in a bigger radiatior and there was no room for the center safty latch. So I removed all three latches and installed the pins.

50DSCN1530-med.jpg

50DSCN14921-med.JPG

50DSCN1478-med.jpg

50DSCN1487-med.jpg

Tugboat369 said:
I also changed to Hood Pins. But had to because I put in a bigger radiatior and there was no room for the center safty latch. So I removed all three latches and installed the pins.

50DSCN1530-med.jpg

50DSCN14921-med.JPG

50DSCN1478-med.jpg

50DSCN1487-med.jpg

Dude, that looks really nice! Any problems with rain getting in the hood vents?

No proplem with rain or snow. I had no ice problem either. I do keep all my linkage sprayed down with WD40 to keep things working. After a deep snow and ice storm. Driving in the jeep caused a revers ice hood scop over the vents it looked cool.

Morning Gents,

I'm having the same probelm here (guess that latch cable is a big piece of crap), I've gotten my grille off but I don't know how to get the next piece off in order to access those bolts. I don't know the name of the piece but it's this one:

P1030002.jpg

I really need to get it open, the battery died on me after my room mate left the interior lights on one night.

I just reached up through the bottom, next to the electric fan, snapped a pair of vice grips on the rod under the hood, and pushed really hard to the drivers side...it popped right open. It's a tight fit but saved me from having to take apart the front end. I had tried pliers at first but couldn't squeeze and push at the same time very well. Good luck with it.

You will see a bolt on the back side and one on the overhead. I used a opened wrench on the back side and a ratchet and socket on the overhead bolt. Once you remove all four bolts two on each side you can open the hood. The hood will not pop up on it's own as the springs are part ov the latch system.

MBarry829 said:
Morning Gents,

I'm having the same probelm here (guess that latch cable is a big piece of crap), I've gotten my grille off but I don't know how to get the next piece off in order to access those bolts. I don't know the name of the piece but it's this one:

P1030002.jpg

I really need to get it open, the battery died on me after my room mate left the interior lights on one night.

The part the arrow is pointing to (header pannel) does not have to come off and neither does the grill. You only have to remove the headlight doors and buckets. There is a bolt you can get to through the hole in the header pannel and one up through the hole you should be able to feel with your fingers....thats all. You took too much off :laugh: .

I recently did this on a friend's 97+ and found the problem of the breaking cable is caused by the hinge mechanism that the cable attaches to rusting and not freely moving. The problem is this piece is riveted to the hood. I think the best solution is to drill the rivets and replace the mechanism with one from an older model (never seen this problem on 96-) with sheet metal screws. The cable from older models is also compatible with the 97+...so you don't have to search for a new body style in the salvage yard.

Last edited:
Atrain said:
I just reached up through the bottom, next to the electric fan, snapped a pair of vice grips on the rod under the hood, and pushed really hard to the drivers side...it popped right open. It's a tight fit but saved me from having to take apart the front end. I had tried pliers at first but couldn't squeeze and push at the same time very well. Good luck with it.

x2

took all of 5 minutes and didnt have to take anything apart

Wow, I made much more work for myself then I needed to. Anyways I got it open and up and running.

Unfortunatly I put the latches back on wrong, or some how failed to secure it and the hood flew open while I was driving :rolleyes:

Back