• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Issue

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
Well my AC wasn't cold so I bought the hose and 2 cans of refridgerant. I had one can in it when I started to smell burning rubber. Sure enough there was just a little smoke coming out from behind the AC pulley.

Am I safe to assume I need to replace my AC compressor? My guess would be the clutch in the pulley is bad, and made the belt smoke, because the belt gave a few squeaks after that. What do you think?

Also I'm running below 14v and my check engine light is on. I know my altenator is shot and I'm replacing it tonight. That wouldn't cause the problem though would it?

have u checked how the comp turns without engine running?

just turn the front of pully to see how it turns.

there might be comtamination in the system and pressures are to high causing the compressor to stall and make the clutch burn, try letting some refrige. out see if it goes away,you might have overcharged it, also its hard to be accurate chargeing a system without gauges. theres also the possibility that the problem wasnt related to the charge in the first place maybe a problem with the air blending system(heat from heater core also mixing with cool air)

Last edited:
Just a thought----

a slipping belt (due to worn belt or low tension) would manifest itself as low alternator output, AND burning rubber smell on the compressor pulley.

You may have also just over filled it, you don't ever want to over fill a system and get liquid back to the compressor, liquid can't be compressed and the clutch and belt will slip.

Back