• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's broken a D44 ring and pinion?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm wondering what experince is out there with D44 rear ends and what abuse they can take. I broke a D44 ring and pinion with a 4 to 1 and 33's, but I wonder what the rest of you have thrown at one. I'm thinking about building a D44 rear end that I have with 5.13's and a 33 spline Super 44 kit from Superior and putting it in the XJ, while the Tera60 goes into another project.

Richard is asking about R&P's. With 33 spline (or 35) spline shafts, the ring and pinion will be the weak link.

I'm still running a 44, although the 60 should be going in this summer. I set the backlash on the tight side, and have had good luck so far. I trussed stock housing and I'm running Dutchman shafts on 38's.

-Jon

Superior alloy shafts 4.56, 33s for four years and now 5.13 and 35s for over a year now, no issues so far.
I don't get out much though.

I broke about 5 Pinion teeth off of a Dana 44 4:56 gear set running 33's and a lock rite. I should also say that the gears were Genuine from 4 Wheel and had been whining for a while when they went. After pulling them to look at them I could see that every tooth had a crack in it and had just not broke off yet. These had about 4000 miles on them and two trail runs when they blew in a mall parking lot from a stop sign. I am now swaping in a 9" and using Precision Gears because of this.

4-5 years on a set of Spicer 4.89 gears. Never broken the gearset, although I did spin one of the pinion bearings in the housing. (I put a new housing in its place) :shocked:

-Mike

Anybody else broken one?

Running larger than 35's with a rear D44 and like to hammer it? :)

Get an 8.8. :D

my buddy sittin right here next to me swapped a xj44 in his YJ. he chipped some ring teeth on his 4.56 yukons. but meh they were yukons
edit. welded on 37's b4 he put in the 14bolt, now running 39.50 boggers with detroit
also has ladder bar, very crazy abusive driver on the loose rubble

Last edited:
my buddy broke about 5 teeth off of his waggy 44 rear in his YJ. full detriot, 5.38s and stock shafts. 4 squirels under the hood. pretty sure the reason it broke was because the pinion bearing went on the highway and a bearing went into the gears...

Back