• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who swears by splitfire's?

XJ Saga

NAXJA Forum User
It seems that the negativity of splitfire's has turned for the better recently. I know the FTC was after them for awhile and grouped them in the same boat as Slick 50 and Duralube etc. Who has noticed better starting/idling/driveability since install? Nice to have another Jeep speed forum!

I dont know a soul that likes those plugs and rightfully so, they have been dyno proven to be crap. Not to mention they rust up so bad you might have to chisel them off your engine.

XJguy

NGK here. Spit Fire plugs.... waste of money IMHO. I may be old school, but last I heard, that electricity stuff takes the path of least resistance. No matter how many electrodes ya have sticking out of a piece or porcalin....you will still get just 1 spark.
Glenn

I never liked them but i do run Bosch plus 4s and realy like them. I tried them when they came out just for the heck of it and replace a set of autolite platinum that only had 20k on them and i honestlt knoeticed a difrenc in bottom end power. but i also have realy good wires on the jeep as well. On a my paarents ZJ i didn't see much of a diffrence but we didn't change wires yet.

XJguy said:
I dont know a soul that likes those plugs and rightfully so, they have been dyno proven to be crap. Not to mention they rust up so bad you might have to chisel them off your engine.

XJguy

I've been running splitfire Triple-platinums for 65k miles and they're doing fine. i recently removed them for inspection with no problems at all. I've also had the SPLITFIRE plug wires for the last 7 years and 110+k miles. They still perform flawlessly.

Splitfire

Do a search for dyno testing on different plugs. The conclusion is usually that specialty plugs will aid in a tired ignition system but you can get the same hp benefits by regapping your oem plugs. Use what you have confidence in.

Hoss is exactly right. The only time the "magic plugs" like Splitfires help at all are when there are other problems in the ignition system. Fix the problem and Splitfires are just a waste of money.

I love my NGK v-power's. I was testing the waters to see if anyone actually had good experiences with em.

so are bosch platinum 2's the same way as the splitfires? i just changed the plugs in my 98 XJ yesterday and i havent noticed a difference, of course i have only driven it like 2 miles since then, but no difference none-the-less... yet...

i use champions in both of my XJs, and the 350z gets NGK plugs that are "colder" than stock.

if you're going to make power, NGK is where its at. otherwise any decent brand will do (hence the champions in my cherokees).

any multi-electrode plugs are a waste of $$$

In adition to the bosh + 4's Accell makes a cut to fit wire set it works wonders for my rokee and ther wires I think are 7 or 8mm. PLus I have the stage 3 performance chip and boy did that make a huge difference!!

I ran Splitfires for 3 years. Had no problem with them. Nothing bad and nothing good to say about 'em.

Just recently switched to plain ol' Autolites.

Glenn Baker said:
NGK here. Spit Fire plugs.... waste of money IMHO. I may be old school, but last I heard, that electricity stuff takes the path of least resistance. No matter how many electrodes ya have sticking out of a piece or porcalin....you will still get just 1 spark.
Glenn

Ditto. NGK runs best in my XJ, and just the conventional ones, no fancy platinums or any of that nonesense. Shitfires are junk, Bosch were slightly better but not much. If I can't get NGKs, I'll run Champion truck plugs.

Humor me

Shitfires? I'm sittin here grinning like a fool now. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I keep hearing a lot of people bashing the "Shitfires" but I wonder if any of these people have actually used them, or are these opinions just based on heresay?
As someone who's actually used them (and still am), I think I'm more qualified to speak about them than those who blindly bash them.
My first set of regular Splitfires lasted 40k miles and were still working fine when I replaced them. The gap between the electrodes had increased to over 0.080" and they were still firing. How many ordinary plugs can maintain that sort of performance after 40k miles?
I'm now 67k miles into my current set of triple-platinum plugs and they're still performing flawlessly, as are my 107k mile old Splitfire dual-core plug wires.
Shitfire? I don't think so. Forget about dyno tests. Longevity is the name of the game as far as Splitfires go. If anybody has to chisel the plugs out of the head, it's probably because they've not needed to inspect them for a few years because they haven't caused any problem. You might even find cobwebs growing on them by the time you need to change them.

My first set of regular Splitfires lasted 40k miles and were still working fine when I replaced them.
The NGK plugs in my 93 are quickly closing in on 75k miles and show no signs of needing replaced. Not too shabby for a set of plugs that cost less than $12.

Last edited:
Less than $12 for a set of NGK's?
Christ, the stealership over here charges $14 for a set of stock Champion copper core plugs! They make the Splitfire triple-platinums ($36 for six) look like a bargain when you consider that they last at least five times as long.

Back