• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit vs No Slip

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I searched through tons of posts but, it's much easier to ask (I'm lazy). I've got a D44 that's going into my '96 and it's eventually going to get regeared and locked. I have a Lock-Rite in my DD Toyota p/u and a Detiroit Locker in my early Bronco so, I'm pretty familiar with their on/off road manners. I've been hearing lots of good things about the No-Slip and was wondering, which is better behaved on the pavement the Detroit or the No-Slip? I'm asking because it will be driven mostly by the Mrs. (she hates driving my Toyota because of the Lock-Rite's quirkiness) so, quietness and smoothness are of importance. Cost is about a wash, as I'll need a 4 series carrier for the regear anyway.--------Hans

my brothers chevy had a detroit in the back of it and it was quite noticeable, i run a no slip in the back of my jeep and it is better behaved on the road vs his detroit, there could be other factors but just this is my experience with the two. i love my no slip btw.

I have run both of them in several different axle config's. I started with a 27 spline 8.25 and a no slip. it worked well but I found it best to rebuild it about once a year with new springs.
then I swapped in a D44 and went with a detroit. not for any reason other than I had both sitting on the shelf and I grabbed the closest box to me. I love the detroit. its pretty bullet proof. then I ran into a wholesale "deal" on the no-slips for the D30. so I bought like 3 and put one in my front. its still up there with 30spline CrMo Yukon shafts, 4.88 gears and 35" X-terrains. it does awsome on the trail.
all I get out of the back is the occasional pop from the detroit reminding me its still there. but when I had a noslip out back it became apparant that it needed new springs after a while of driving and wheeling. hence the rebuild it with new springs once a year.
honestly, to rebuild a no-slip in a D44 is going to be a major task. the carrier has to come out and the ring gear needs to come off. not fun when the carrier is interferenced into the housing with a case spreader.
My advice is to go with the detroit. there is no drivability differences betweeen either of them. And the cost is less then $100 between the two considering the no-slip will require a new carrier with the regear. or just over $100 difference if you use a thick gear instead.

i like my detroit on the road, even with a 5spd. it used to pop like hell when i first installed it. it has since not done it that often. i get 2 pops per week is seems like. it used to be 3 per day. i switched to lucas gear oil and it seems to like it, after that is when i got the improvements. any input rawbrown? on the pops, and gearoil you like to go with on full detroits?

some claim that they prefer to run 140wt instead of 90wt. Lube choice is purely up to the owner of the vehicle. the only requirements is that you fill the diff full enough. but I can see how the 140 will slow down some of the clanky characteristics of any locker. I personally run Royal Purple in both diffs. I also have an auto tranny. manual tranny's do tend to make a locker a bit more noisy or harsh.
Its truly a matter of personal pref's.

I usually run 75/140 as tow a lot in hot weather but would get better mileage from a 75 as per the manual. What the best to use on the break in too?

Back