• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Traction grease fittings

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of an easy way to relocate grease fittings? I kinda relocated mine yesterday and need a more permanent solution. This pict is from Conway in VA. Had to use my lower driver arm as a skid (Full Traction kit) and this is what happens.

standard

standard

Install the arm with the fitting on top.

Must be a newer thing. My old arms didn't have that fitting, it only had the one that you see on the bolt head.

I tore the one off on the bolt head, and unfortunatley they are pressed in, not threaded.

I thought about flipping it, but I don't think I can reach the fitting if I did. You know how the mount is for the lower control arm, there's a plate above it there. You think I could re-drill a hole in the back of the arm and put a plug in the bottom one?

What about a 90 degree fitting? You could also just get a fitting that uses the needle tip for your grease gun - the same ones used on the top of u-joint caps and keep the hole in the same location.

Thats a good idea. Think that the needle fittings would be able to mount flush?

They make a flush mount fitting.I got mine from MSC,a large industrial outfitter,had to buy a dozen for about $15.oo.IIRC the fitting was larger than the standard 1/4-20 so i had to drill and tap.I put a skid on the lower mount and drilled a hole to access the fitting with a needle
Wayne

I had the same concerns and saw the problems (most of them anywaz) during installation......a box of zerks and some thought as to putting grease in after a couple hundred noisy miles yeilded the 90s' on the lower arms installed on top were easy to pump up the upper 90s' had to be replaced with straight fittings :) to be able to pump up and a real quiet ride!

soooo....you lost me. you used 90 degree fittings on top of the lower arms and then took them off and replaced them with straight?

sorry for the confusion....i installed 90s' , zerk up, on the upper arms , they are easy to reach and straight fittings on the lower when I found I couldnt reach the 90s' I had put in. Now those too are easy to reach.

Mike.

bigwhitey said:
I bought the greasable bolts from currie for 8 bucks a piece.
What good does that do?

I pulled the grease fitting that was broken off out with a philips head screw driver, beat it in with a hammer and just unscrewed it. I then put an allen head set screw in it until I can find a needle grease fitting. No place around here has any and i think that a set screw is probably the next best thing. I had a hell of a time putting the control arms in when I installed them, so I am not looking forward to pulling it out and flipping it, so I think I'm just gonna go with the set screw for now. Its a flush set screw so I hope it works, what do you all think?

Back