• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L Valve Cover

tgoff

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of an aluminum replacement valve cover for the 2.5L? I really want to get rid of this plastic one since I have already had to replace it once due to the plastic tabs inside broke one day. This made a terrible knock noise and I though I really had messed something up. These tabs were only held on by some type of glue and after 200,000 miles it just couldn't hold up any longer. I would like to get a cover that is a lot more durable than the stock plastic one but I have searched and cannot find one. I only find them for the 4.0L. So if anyone knows of any I would really like to find out where to get one. Thanks. By the way I have an 1986 XJ 2.5L RENIX TBI.

Nope not yet. I dont expect them to make one either since the ditched the 2.5 in place of the DC 2.4.

I just went out and popped the hood on one of our TJ's, it's a 97 w/2.5L, seems to be plastic too. Why not just buy a new one considering the old one lasted for over 200K...

No. The XJ's only had the AMC 2.5L I believe. The 1986 2.5L TBI differs slightly from the 87-90 2.5L TBI but exactly what I don't know. I know the vacuum/crank ventilations systems are different. The 86 2.5L has the same TBI and vacuum set up found in the 87-90 Wranglers. I don't know what the changes are and why the changes so if anyone does it would be interesting to know why. Also, if anyone knows why the changes were not made to the Wranglers. I am just looking for an upgrade so I never have to worry about it breaking again. Aluminum should help quiet the valve train noise better than plastic and dissipate heat better as well. I assume this is the reason there are after market aluminum ones made for the 4.2L and 4.0L.

Last edited:
I'm not really interested in the 2.5L MPI XJ's because I think the valve cover is different then the TBI models. The valve cover will look like this

I_128436_SW_1.gif

This is why I am interested in the 90 MJ that has an aluminum cover because it is TBI and should have the same valve cover because they have the same part numbers and would be the first aluminum valve cover I have ever seen and heard of. If it was factory it would be extremely rare since you cannot get them from factory anymore and I know of no XJ, MJ, or YJ that came with one and I look at everyone I have seen in junk yards and on people I know with the 2.5L in their Jeeps.

langer1 said:
It's a GM 2.5l in 86 ain't it?

Nope! Jeep dumped the Iron puke end of '83 when they had their own 4 cyl (derived from the 4.2 and 232 6 cyls, then modded to 6 cyls to make the 4.0L) It's actually 2.54L party1:

garyjav, you are full of shit. I want proof of this aluminum valve cover.
I bet it's plastic and you are too dumb to realize it.

The plastic ones are often factory painted to look like aluminum. (fooled me on my '86 MJ for 2 years, but it never leaked till the current owner overheated it!)

It's not al. I have looked at dozens of them. it does not exhist. also the 2.5L has the same head and block from 84 till in the 90's. The covers are basically the same. I know of one member that bolted the mpi stuff on his 84.

Ok, I normally Troll this site to learn things and when the question was asked about an aluminum valvecover for a 2.5L I had to check it out. Last time I had mine off I thought it was cast Aluminum. ('93) When every one started saying they were not available I questioned myself. I just came in from filing the "fins" on my cover. While I'm NOT a Jeep expert, I have filed my fair share of plastic and Aluminium. I am quite sure my 1993 2.5L
P5290028_1.jpg
came from the factory with a cast Aluminium cover.

I pulled an Aluminum cover off of a TJ ( don't know what year) that had the 2.5 in it, and the cover IS Aluminum. It also fits perfectly on my '84 2.5 motor. I do not know why some are Aluminum and some are plastic, I guess it is just " A Jeep thing" after all. LOL

Ok it looks like some of the MPI have the aluminum valve covers and they will work with the TBI. I will now keep a look out for those at the yards. Thanks.

Back