• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan transmission cooler???

AZRockRunner

Nobody
I am concerned that a external transmission cooler will not be enough to keep my auto cool enough while going 3 MPH on the rocks. I was looking into either using a electric fan on the cooler but the space is SUPER tight. My question is: If I run the back up electric fan that is already on the cherokee to a switch that keeps it running 100% of the time, will that be enough air pulling through the fins to keep the trannie cool? I cant seem to find the CFM rating on the newer electric fans for cherokees. I do not want to burn up the AW4 as that means more $$$$$$$ for repairs and less $$$$ for parts.

Thanks guys

And mount it where? I need a place that cooler air will flow over it. I live in AZ and we have 80 degree days in the friggin winter.

Mount a remote cooler on the FRONT of the radiator, on the driver's side (where the electric fan is mounted,) and put in the override switch. This allows the cooler air to flow over the transmission cooler FIRST, and the radiator will get its own supply of fresh cooling air from the mechanical fan.

Meanwhile, the transmission cooler won't block the entire radiator core on the side where it is mounted, so that won't be a huge problem either. Having the fan running all the time is likewise not a major issue (you might wear out the motor bearings faster, but so what? It's easy to replace the fan.)

You don't need a huge cooler, so you won't be blocking a lot of radiator.

5-90

Back