• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in distributor?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
The problems on a 98 TJ but OEM Jeep nonetheless...I took the TJ wheelin about a week ago and got stuck up to the bottom of the doors in water. I drove it 80ish miles home and it ran fine BUT on the way home the alternator died so I drove it till the battery died and right before the battery died the check engine light came on.

Anyways I get it back from the mechanic and the Check Engine light is still on and it runs funny now, upon start-up it'll revv up to 2k rpm's and drop down to about 200 at idle after 30 seconds. It runs rough at idle and stalls from time to time when going from reverse to forward or forward to reverse.

Are these symptoms of water under the distributor cap? How do I cure this? Pull the cap and shoot WD-40 in, let dry and restart?

98 TJ 2.5L

Thanks

Pull the cap and check for condensation on the inside of it. WD-40 is the perfect solution. Should take all of 5 minutes to do.
Spray it, shake it out and reinstall.

That is of course if water is in it.

The oil looks good, not milky at all. The CCV is what?

Can I pull the trouble codes w/a paperclip, or is this too new to do that?

I think I have it figured out now, the vent at the back of the valve cover was clogged so when I removed it it runs fine now...

Air Cleaner? They are fairly fine and a little moisture shuts off the air flow pretty quick, when water mixes with a little dust it turns to putty and when it dries to near cement. A restriction in the air cleaner will cause all sorts of problems and can cause out of the envelope, sensor values.
It's pretty common to get muddy water inside the alternator, that dries and causes poor brush contact.
Next best guess for the poor motor performance, would be water in a connector, which can mess with sensor values.
I mud a lot, checking, drying and cleaning connectors is a regular thing with me. A connector bath in cup of hot water and a little squirt with compressed air works better than a contact spray to remove mud from a connector, the connector dries fast when the water is hot. a Good contact spray can help remove oxidation and/or oil from the connector. No matter how good the seal, water and/or mud seems to find it's way in the connectors with regularity. WD40 is not rcommended for sensor connectors, it messes with the resistance.

Back