• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My roof sounds like a snapple top

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 2dr xj sounds bad when i go on bumbpy roads or terain. its not the biggest deal but would love to do without. Do they make a support or anything to fix this problem.

no rack like that I have thule cross bars and it makes the sound with them on or off. i was looking for an simpler solution.

Is it the roof metal or the headliner ?

Assuming there is not actually a flaw in your roof that needs fixing, you can add mass or bracing. I only mention the concern of a flaw, because the resonant frequency of the roof panel is about 50 hz, which means it shouldn't sound anything like a snapple top, which is at least 1000 hz

If there's snapping, something's loose.

If it's not snapping, but booming that's the problem, you can brace, or add mass: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4822/roof9tr.jpg

is the roof flopping/slapping against the roof cross member/support?

If so just go buy some adhesive backed foam, or go get some water pipe insulation foam sleeves (black 1/4" foam round tube with a slit in it, incase your not familiar with it, any big box home center like lowes or home depot has it) cut it in half, and slip it in the void between the supprt and the roof panel. This should cushion the slapping noise.

i dont think there is a flaw just lack of support i like that idea was was hoping i could just but somthing to install, on another noote would i benefit on putting a liner on the innner roof

My 93 did this popping noise when I took the headliner out. If you were to do as some have said and put a liner back in or some sort of matting I think it would either stop or at least get to a level of sound you could endure.

I second that it's the sheetmetal skin slapping against the crossmembers. They really attached the crossmembers to the room, they only glued them on. Well after a number of years in the sun that glue goes away and they seperate. You can glue them back in if you like to get rid of the sound.

Whle you're in there you can create some more bracing if you'd like. Just follow the form of the original bracing (so as not to interfere with the headliner) only make it beefier. If you weld I'd consider spot welding them in as well.

Sequoia

Oh no!

That's the noise it makes right before it folds like a taco!

Be careful!

Back