• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering XJ

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've always pondered the idea and infact a while back i cut my front springs and dropped it about 2.5". What about the rear? what is the chance of a D35 out of a YJ or D44 out of an MJ tucking under there to lower it because they are both sprung under? By the way i'm not trying to sound ricey its just that it would be nice to have speed accompanied by nice handling to back it up.

eric

Unclear on YJ perch width, but the MJ Axle isn't a 'direct' swap-in due to it being different spring perch width (MJ springs mount under the frame...XJ springs mount outboard of it)

Also doing a SUA will likely drop you lower than the front 2.5", so adding longer shackles may be needed to level up.

Is the front axle on the bumpstops? I looked at doing something like this to the wifes XJ a few years back but the stops were too close (her XJ has the longer HD tow package stops).

In the rear axle relocation you need to weld new spring perches under the axle, the old over the axle perches can remain as they do not get in the way of the u-bolts (and can be used for a different style of traction bar). The shock mounts will need to be relocated, if I picture the configuration correctly (one of the u-bolts go through the factory XJ shock mount, IIRC).

I do not know if the resulting rear body height would demand a longer shackle to level the result (an educated guess is yes, but a true test will tell). Let us know if anyone has tried this, or what you find?

I would also be a little concerned with possible wheel hop in a spring-under configuration with the minimal arch of the XJ spring pack. It is something else to think about (get some spare leafs for future changes).

Since I have not talked to many people who have lowered an XJ like yours (anyone else?) how does it ride? What size tires, etc.?

You can get some RE spring perches and weld them on the opposite side. You can even compensate for change in pinion angle while at it, or just use an angled shim and use it in the opposite configuration a lifted XJ would. Youll also have to remove and reweld the shock mounts. This is what I did along with dearched springs....which resulted in too much drop even with lift shackles, the tire comes too close to the fender lip, trimming would help or rounded wheel openings.

Take a look under your XJ and measure the axle tube and spring perch height, add that measurement to the top of your leaf spring pack and youll see how much you will drop it and how close youll be to the frame. Most likely shorter bump stops will be needed.

I dont know how it rides sinse i have not riden mine yet, but I would guess it would be pretty much like how an MJ rides.

XJguy

and where would you place the drop blocks? the drop blocks would require a SUA I believe, otherwise you end up lifting it and thus they are called lift blocks.....

Kejtar

that is a true statement, what about the dakota springs that lift, find springs that are not arched as much, and build some custom lowering packs

Kejtar, a SUA is what is being discussed.
Glenn

Glenn Baker said:
Kejtar, a SUA is what is being discussed.
Glenn

LOL... I know.... but it was mentioned that the SUA will most likely need a slightly longer shackle as the drop might be too much and I felt that the lowering blocks were offerd as an alternative to SUA :)

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
LOL... I know.... but it was mentioned that the SUA will most likely need a slightly longer shackle as the drop might be too much and I felt that the lowering blocks were offerd as an alternative to SUA :)

Kejtar

Interesting concept.... but won't work. :D
Glenn

drop blocks are what i have already thought of. If i were to go SUA i could keep my springs on there and just go from there, if it was to high still, put some drop blocks in it and just kinda tailor it. As for Ed Stevens question the chopped front springs honestly road like sh*t. It actually handled worse because after a few short months my front shocks were dead some how so it felt like i was driving a boat on the road, i guess this could also be because the whole front end geometry was way off. Braking and traction in the rain and snow got considerably worse because the rear end was so much higher and lighter with no rear seat or spare tire or anything back there. The tires were 245/60R15 BFG Radial T/A's. Its so confusing to me, one day i'm dead set on lifting it and putting 31's or 32" muds on it and beating the hell out of it, the next day i want to polish it and make a street machine, i think i better buy a 2nd XJ!

Eric

wouldn't it make sense that doing a SUA would drop the rear by 5" or so, as that's the 'general' lift when you do a SOA on a CJ?? The axle tube on a Model 20 may be slightly bigger than a 35 or a 8.25, but not by much.

This would be a good start number as to how much you should expect.

Speed......this is the "Street and Performance" forum. We are trying to accomadate and accept those who have a different goal from the majority. Comments such as this can "scare off" potential new members and those who are giving us a shot as the premire source of XJ/MJ information.

Different strokes for different folkes.

Sorry...climbing off soapbox now.
DG

Listen, Jerky, this forum was started specifically to avoid that kind of input from the original Mod-Tech forum, so keep your useless opinion to yourself. It just so happens that there are more than a few of us who either have more than one Jeep for various uses, or aren't into the whole build 'n' bash scene. I, for one, am jealous of the way my wife's stock '01 XJ rides on the road, which is why I've decided to build a fast and comfortable street MJ with which to tow my big XJ, and also to replace my noisy, uncomfortable, spartan, utilitarian, lifted '87 MJ longbed.

Bottom line is, we won't tolerate that kind of crap here. Take it to JU.

P.S. Beat me to it, Rev.

Rev Den said:
Speed......this is the "Street and Performance" forum. We are trying to accomadate and accept those who have a different goal from the majority. Comments such as this can "scare off" potential new members and those who are giving us a shot as the premire source of XJ/MJ information.

Different strokes for different folkes.

Sorry...climbing off soapbox now.
DG

Nah, its cool I understand.

Im just a firm believer that Jeeps were made for offroad and not for things so "ricer" oriented.

Yes, Im opinionated, and yes I tend to share my opinions with wreckless abondon.

I just dont think vehicles that helped win a war (jeeps) should be dropped... its my opinion.. But yeah, youre both right, Im out of line.. go on, drop it, get winched over a speed bump....

Speed_racer said:
Nah, its cool I understand.

Im just a firm believer that Jeeps were made for offroad and not for things so "ricer" oriented.

Mine is so "offroad oriented" that it's 2 wheel drive and gets stuck in 1/2 inch of snow. I personally am glad this forum has been started.

Sarge

The thing with Ricers is that alot of the crap they put on those vehicles is non-functional... rear deck spoiler on a fwd car?! You can't compare that to what we are discussing here. This forum is for functional performance enhancement, regardless of the stuff under the tires. The great thing about Jeeps is their power to weight ratio that makes them fun to drive on the street as well as off-road, so we are here to cover the until now ignored performance side of our great vehicles.

Back