• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking Brake not working

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced both parking brake cables on my sister's '90 since one of them was frozen and the other was close to it. I adjusted the nuts below the brake lever so that you have to give the brake lever a good pull to get the lever all the way up, but it still won't hold the Jeep from rolling on a gentle slope. I also turned the adjusters inside the brake drum assembly until the drums just barely could slide on and once they were on, there was only slight drag when I turned them. I've compared how I put all the parts back together against my XJ and they both look the same.

Any ideas?

Check the brackets at the forward end of the cable sheaths. On pre-97 models they are just tack welded to the floor. They flex a little at best, and after long use they can start to tear out. Once that happens no amount of brake adjustment will hold.

I drilled a couple of 1/4 inch holes through each of mine, and bolted them through the floor with reinforcing plates.

Otherwise, if it still doesn't hold, I'd suggest you go looking again at the whole mechanism and see if there's something you overlooked. But they're pretty lousy parking brakes even when they're working.

Back