• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
so i finally decided to turn on my AC today and suprise. it needs to be recharged. i lost my very nice professional one so i went to Target and picked up a can from there( compleete with a press. gauge). i hooked it up and looked at the pressure gauge and it says 70 psi. the recomended ammount acording to the can is between 24 and 40 psi.

so i guess the question is how do i fix this problem of to much pressure?

p.s. yes i hooked it up to the low press. side

Did you read 70 psi with the A/C running or off? I'm guessing you are are reading the normal vapor pressure of a non running A/C. Attach the gauge and turn on the A/C, then read the pressure when it stabilizes.

You have to open the valve to allow it to suck the refrigerent in and the compressor must be on. What year xj? I am guessing you converted it to r134a if it was originally r12. If it is converted remember that the r134a only needs to be at 80% of the r12 pressure.

yes the ac was on and engine running. the valve was open but i did not put any in.

now i am concernd i have a 95. does that run on r12 or r134a. i just don't want to wreck to system.

can i get r12 at napa or somewhere?

Gnat5680 said:
yes the ac was on and engine running. the valve was open but i did not put any in.

now i am concernd i have a 95. does that run on r12 or r134a. i just don't want to wreck to system.

can i get r12 at napa or somewhere?
A 95 SHOULD run on R134, as, by law, all cars were required to operate with something OTHER than R12 as of 1994.

You need to find a manifold to measure temperatures and pressures on both the low and high sides of your system, if you want to avoid damaging something.

Gnat5680 said:
so i finally decided to turn on my AC today and suprise. it needs to be recharged. i lost my very nice professional one so i went to Target and picked up a can from there( compleete with a press. gauge). i hooked it up and looked at the pressure gauge and it says 70 psi. the recomended ammount acording to the can is between 24 and 40 psi.

so i guess the question is how do i fix this problem of to much pressure?

p.s. yes i hooked it up to the low press. side

What makes you think it needs recharged? Is the compressor not coming on, cycling way too much, or is it just not cold. If you have 70psi on the low side and the compressor is not coming on then check if you have +12v on the wire to the compressor clutch. If not then locate and check the low pressure switch (it should be conducting). Note that if the pressure gets too low, it will not cycle on either.

I'm assuming that you bought a can of R134a with the quick connector as that's the only thing you can get at Target. I'm 99% positive you have R-134a it you were able to connect it as R12 has a different connector.

-Chris

You have r134a if you were able to buy a recharge can that worked with the fittings. If the compressor is engaged and your pressure is that high you might have a bad compressor. You have to have a liscence to buy r12 by the way.

I,ve been having trouble out of my 98 xj's ac for about a week. First thing I realize is that everyone I talked to were pros. on ac units,if someone works on an ac unit one time it makes them pros, thats why I got a bunch of opinionsbefore I even got started and of course I was led astray on it. By far I still know nothing about any ac unit on my rig.I did go out to auto zone and bought a recharge kit because thats what most people suggested.My unit would not run at all.no fan, no compressor, nothing.I cheched my freon and it showed nothing, so after emptying a can of tha high dollar freon that stops leaks, adds oil blows colder air and saves gas milage, I realized the gauge was broken so I went back to auto zone and swaped gauges got back home and I had too much freon and had to drain it back out. I did notice I could jump the low pressure cut off switch and it would run so then I set my freon pressure and still nothing then I had to order a low pressure switch which I could only get from a dealer.Today I go out to mess with it before I buy the new switch,I jump the low pressure switch and I had no freon on my gauge, so I charged it to 50 lbs take my jumper off and plug the switch back up and the stupid thing starts working. So I dont remember if I had the low pressure switch jumped the other night when I first started working on it so the compressor would be running I now have about 50 bucks in it and still dont know what the deal is. By the way if you have to buy a low pressure switch fromyour dealer they run about $20.My 98 uses R134a

Back