• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

scary sounds after clutch install

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I only have a 96 2dr 5pseed with a 2" lift and 31"x10.5" tires right now with the stock gears ( i think 4 10s) I just put a centerforce 1 in and it works great, but here is the list os scary noises.
1) Sounds like a pop and crackle around 1st and second. Sounds like teeth of gears meshing together scary $#!+. Does it sound like the tranny or rear? the gears ingage fine.
2)when i am rolling in N i hear a ticking I had the bearing changes and the flywheel was sent out i cant pin point the locaion because the car must be moving. at times the noise stops and never happens when engaged in a gear. this makes me think it cant be past the clutch.
the last sound was a nasty exaust rattle on the TC cross bar that isnt dropped i also had the mount repaced and only drove like 30 miles after it was done hope it needs to be broken in or somthin. I had it done at a shop i trust but no warranty.
Any1 ever have this problem?

kenny schmitt said:
I only have a 96 2dr 5pseed with a 2" lift and 31"x10.5" tires right now with the stock gears ( i think 4 10s) I just put a centerforce 1 in and it works great, but here is the list os scary noises.
1) Sounds like a pop and crackle around 1st and second. Sounds like teeth of gears meshing together scary $#!+. Does it sound like the tranny or rear? the gears ingage fine.
2)when i am rolling in N i hear a ticking I had the bearing changes and the flywheel was sent out i cant pin point the locaion because the car must be moving. at times the noise stops and never happens when engaged in a gear. this makes me think it cant be past the clutch.
the last sound was a nasty exaust rattle on the TC cross bar that isnt dropped i also had the mount repaced and only drove like 30 miles after it was done hope it needs to be broken in or somthin. I had it done at a shop i trust but no warranty.
Any1 ever have this problem?

Take it back to the shop. Tell them to fix it right. The exhaust rattle can be from them removing it to do the clutch, and it not going back in exactly as it was before. And with a stick, you have 3.07 gears stock. They only came that way.

i have the stock pipes with no cat and dynomax muff. i am not worried about that sound as much. I need to know if any1 ever heard the other noises

oh then stock gears is like he said 3.07's. i know centerforces dont usually come with alignment tools. did they use one or eyeball it

Doesn't matter if they used an alignment tool or not. If the clutch disk isn't centered, you'll never get the input shaft through it and into the pilot bushing.

I've never run a Centerforce clutch, so I really don't know if it should be making any noise or not. I do know they've got more moving parts than a stock clutch. I'd suspect that a Centerforce shouldn't be making any ticks, though.

If you had a shop do it, got back and complain. Sounds like the exhaust pipe either isn't secured in the tranny mount hanger or the hanger is broken at a minimum.

Back