• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with roof rack?

wildcar

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, My girlfriend got me a safari rack for my jeep and I'm not sure how I should bolt the rack to the cross bars. This picture is of the cross bar on the roof rack that attaches to the cross bar.
The roof rack cross bar is just sitting on top of the mounting bar in the pic, It slides over the bar. Should I drill a hole through both of them and then use some self tapping screws.
100_0579.jpg

:doh:

1. It's Friday of the Holiday weekend and A LOT of people are not on the boards b/c they are trying to get somewhere fun. You posted 6 hours ago before bumping.

2. It's been a longn and really crappy day but I thought your description was horrible. :wow: . However, this could easily be me.

If I understand you correctly, the bracket from the safari rack is designed to "sandwich" the factory cross bar. I probably wouldn't use self-tapping screws but I also carry a good amount of gear on my roof and would worry about the screws wallowing out. I would be thinking more along the lines of drilling out the bracket AND crossbar and then using nuts, bolts and washers to secure it together. I pull on mine a lot when getting coolers and stuff like that up there and the screws just sound well......screwy. Have a good weekend.

Back