• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axle is this please?

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Was stripping the disc brakes off a Ford Falcon to do a disc swap for my new D44 and came across this axle in the scrap bin.

Axle1.jpg

Axle2.jpg

Axle3.jpg

As I thought they were throwing it out I wanted to know what it came out of. Of coarse as soon as I showed interest in it they said it was a mistake that it was in there and how much did I want to offer for it. But first I would like to know what it might be. To me it looks like a D60 but as I have only seen pictures of them before I cant say for sure. It came out of a 1959 F150 ( didn't know they were F150 back then? ) and has a 10 bolt rear cover. Has 8 studs and is a full floater. Anyone know what it is for sure and maybe what the WMS to WMS might be?

Tubes look a little small for a 60?

Looks like it's a centered diff, so that rules out a D60-2 from a J Truck. (they had small tubes)

I go to a tech school in Indiana, Lincoln tech if youve heard of it. Were actually building an offroader for the school. We have a ffD60 for the rear end it looks nothing like that so i would say thats not a d60.

Looks like a 60 to me, but just upside down.

Dana 60, (maybe a 70 no reference in my head for the dif covers though), didn't they have the same centers for the carrier?
If its a D60 it's not come out of a 1959 anything that I know of, closest thing that would have the same bolt pattern is a T-bird D44 but I think they only went to 57 then ford put the 9 in there, don't quote me on that I'm not that old I just like T-bird's.
If it was a Ford I'd say it was a D60 from a truck, Ford F100,F150 67-85, there's a bunch of them all over this rock. If the yard says it a Ford I'd bet it was that bunch of them. And the diff cover matches that axle assembly, it looks just like my neighbors' 69 Ranger he wont sell me.

If you want it go back and tell them it came from an 85 so they don't jack the price up for being from a classic. The people that do that just piss me off, i dont care if it is 20 years old if it works fine if it don't is just so much scrap, or it still has to be rebuilt.
Hope this helps.

Andy

It looks like a 60--------. ---------------Kyle

Incidently Marcus...

I say it's an early seventies model becuase of the funny little flange behind the yoke. I've seen that on a 73 Ford F250 but NOT on a 71 Ford F250.

With that flange the yoke is most likely for 1330 U-Joints. (The yoke from the '71 had a 1310 joint)

GSequoia said:
Looks to me like an early 70's FF60 from a F250.

Yes, F250 - they had some full floats I've seen around.

The drums look too narrow for a 70's era f250..

Should be the number "60" cast into one of the webs (I've read) One of the "Ford" guys on the Pirate board responded to a question I had about swapping a late '60s early '70s 3/4 or 1 ton Ford Van D60 into my early Bronco (because it's similar width and slight offset to the passenger side just like the Bronco's) as not worth it as they only had (I believe he said) 19 spline shafts not the more common 30 spline so, I scrapped that idea and just kept my Warn full floater instead-----Hans

Looks like a D60.
I had a 63 Ford F250 that had a D60 FF. It looked exactly like that, although, its hard to tell from the pics, but I remember the drums being wider on my F250.

its a 60, prolly out of a late 60's f250, not 150

its FF, 90% its 4.10's open diff, 23 spline axle shafts

there were no 19 spline rear shafts btw

Thanks very much for all the replies guys. I will drop by and see if I can get the BOM number of it. Bit hard to get to as the scrap bin is quite high and I was standing on my tippy toes on a pallet next to it ( and I'm 6'3" ) just to get these shots. ;)

tealcherokee said:
........23 spline axle shafts

there were no 19 spline rear shafts btw
I stand corrected (I guess some of the older D44s had 19 spline shafts)---------Hans

Back