• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff flush

97XJ Jeeper

Semper Fi
what would be safe to spray into my diffs when i flush them to get it nice and clean before i add fresh gear oil.:us:

thanks that was what i was going to use but wasnt sure if that would hurt anything or not

IntrepidXJ said:
a littl brake cleaner in the eye won't kill ya :wow:
you're right, but it burns like hell. I've done ti twice now.
First one was a fluke, second one was my fault for not learning my lesson the first time.

this is a really sad question, but what do you use for dif fluid? I have had my Jeep for 2 years now and never changed either of the difs fluids... and I know I should... so what do I use... in addition to flushing with brake cleaner I now know. I use Mobile 1 for engine and tranny, where can I get and what should I use for dif fluid?

This is a blanket statement so take it with a grain of salt, but IIRC you use 75W90 (or is it 80W?) gear oil. If you have a limited slip, then you need to add a limited slip additive.

Pat

depends on if you have a limited slip or not, if you do you have to add a friction modifier if you have an open or locked just use 80-90w gear oil

I use 75W90 GL5 gear oil in all my differentials. The main reason I run this weight is so I have one gear oil for all my differentials and the manual transmission in one of my Jeeps.

If it weren't for the transmission I'd run (and historically have run) the next weight up.

Sequoia

Brake cleaner is good,but do NOT spray it into the bearings and remove the gear oil from them.Clean the housing good just not directly into the bearings.
Wayne

The manufacturer recomendation for gear oil is 75-90W for regular use, 75-140W for heavy duty use and towing.

what do you use to re-seal the diff case when closing it back up or do you even have to use a sealer? any suggestions on how to go about changing my diff fluid? Thanks ahead of time

ebjones7 said:
what do you use to re-seal the diff case when closing it back up or do you even have to use a sealer? any suggestions on how to go about changing my diff fluid? Thanks ahead of time

thanks for searching even though it brought back to life a dead thread. again kudos.

i use red RTV. black rtv works too. i like it cause i keep a tube of it in my tool box when i go wheeling and can use it for a variety of situations/applications.

just be sure to coat AROUND (completly arround) the bolt to ensure a good seal. also, dont be afraid of using too much. any excess will just squeeze right out.

hope that helps
stewie

remove all bolts except for the very top one.

loosen top bolt a couple turns. use rubber mallet on side of diff cover to break the seal.

as the gear lube drains out, remove the top bolt that you left in here loosely.

clean the diff cover and thoroughly clean the gasket surface area.

spray the hell out of the differential with brake cleaner and either blow it dry, or use a shop towel to wipe up all the dirty gear oil/brake cleaner from the bottom of the housing.

clean the gasket surface area on the differential.

install the new differential gasket (that you bought from the parts store while you were buying the gear lube) and differential cover.

fill with appropriate fluid.

PS: just my opinion, but i avoid RTV like the plaque. i hate that stuff. plus a diff cover that has been install with RTV comes off alot harder than one installed with a gasket.

Back