• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Help

mvickstrom

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post so sorry if this question seems dumb.

I was wondering if driving my jeep without an ehaust from in front of the cat back would be ok? Will it hurt the engine? It will only be for a couple of days till my new ehaust comes. The reason i took it off before my new exhaust came was because my catalytic converter had become clogged and it created enough back pressure so that my engine was sputtering. Thanks in advance for your help.
- Mark

you'll be fine, but it'll get warmer inside. try to bend the end down so it deflects a little away from the body.

ive read on another forum that the 2.5 will lose some power this way cause it likes backpressure, but the 4.0 enjoys it alot.
either way its safe

Thanks I've been driving it for a couple of days now and it doesnt seem to have lost any power but its reallly loud. I cant really tell how its performing because it gets too loud to drive it at above 3k rpm. but it doesnt matter my new dyno max exhaust will be here thursday. :)

Oizarod115 said:
ive read on another forum that the 2.5 will lose some power this way cause it likes backpressure, but the 4.0 enjoys it alot.
either way its safe

I don't know where people get the idea that some engines "like" backpressure because no engine likes backpressure. The aim is to build an exhaust system that maximizes exhaust gas velocity over the desired rpm range to extract as much torque as possible from the engine.
Running the engine without an exhaust from the cat backwards will make it very loud indeed so be prepared to wear ear muffs yourself, tell your neighbours that your Jeep is going to make a hell of a racket and most importantly, avoid attracting the attention of the boys in blue.

Back