• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to charge ac unit on a 98xj

bradmoody

NAXJA Forum User
My ac has quit and it reached 95 today I realy would like it bac. I did manage to make it run by jumping the low pressure switch, so it makes me think its low on freon. I bought a r 134a kit to reacharge it but I'm not real sure where to charge it. help please! pictures would be realy great if any one has some.

From a '96,which has R134a. I would imagine similar to yours.

Note the two metal lines coming out of the rear of the compressor (the big silver unit at the lower right with the "709T" marking). In each line, there is a plastic cap on top, covering the valves.

The right line, silver in color, has a smaller schrader valve. The left line, which is black, has a larger funky valve. I have no idea what the style is called, but it's basically just a cone-shaped ball check valve.

You want to fill from the low-pressure side, which in this case is the silver line with the schrader valve.

Last edited:
This picture is nothing like mine, mine has two large silver lines coming out of the compressor,one witch has a valve with a cap on it and I think the oter goes to the condensor,=. I went to auto zone a little while ago and got one of those kits.hooked it all up and the gauge showed nothing so I done like the directions said and it drained the can.Then I realized the gauge was messed up and thats why it read nothing. So I took it back to auto zone and traded it in on a good gauge, come home hooked it up and it said it was in the danger zone so I drained it till about 55 or 60 lbs still I have no air ,I can jump the switches and it will work. yes I need help!!!

98' XJ

100_0226.jpg

yes this looks like mine see the switch just to the left i can take a jumper wire unplug the plug, jump the plug with a wire and it will run.

their is a blue w/ pink stripe wire going to that switch and i can check it to ground and it will work, also there is a switch on the compressor i can short to ground and it will work

Id still make sure its not just low on freon before you go replacing the switch. Does the kit you bought have a guage on it?

Back